• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Radiator purge?

Vilas

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper xtx, Thunder products clutch kit
over the past few weeks I did a whole bunch of stuff to my viper including an Ulmer air box kit which required removing andd draining the radiator. Aside from topping it off, do I need go thru the whole purge procedure outlined in the service manual? I'm never done that before but the manual said that air in the system can cause engine damage? Any suggestions? Heading up to the UP tomorrow to try this sled out for the first time. Let's hope the storm tomorrow is a good one.

over the past few weeks I did a whole bunch of stuff to my viper including an Ulmer air box kit which required removing andd draining the radiator. Aside from topping it off, do I need go thru the whole purge procedure outlined in the service manual? I'm never done that before but the manual said that air in the system can cause engine damage? Any suggestions? Heading up to the UP tomorrow to try this sled out for the first time. Let's hope the storm tomorrow is a good one.

Each time you heat cycle the engine (get to temp where thermostat opens then shut down until cool) it pumps some air out and some coolant in. How many times this need occur depend on amount of air in the system. If you choose to go this route watch temps very carefully and stop and shut down if temp goes over 200.

I think the manual is wrong about there being a purge screw. When I poured in new coolant I could see the new coolant essentially pushing the bubbles back out the filler neck which is obviously a good sign. I looked everywhere in the service manual and I could not find a purge screw.

I think the manual is wrong about there being a purge screw. When I poured in new coolant I could see the new coolant essentially pushing the bubbles back out the filler neck which is obviously a good sign. I looked everywhere in the service manual and I could not find a purge screw.

I would agree, I have not see a purge screw anywhere. Just fill it and let it go through a warm up / cool down cycle and recheck it should be all you need just like Stingray talked about. That's all I did on ours and it worked fine.

Back