• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

A tuned 998t get as good or better mileage than a stock one.

A tuned 998t get as good or better mileage than a stock one.
So it Magically makes more horsepower with less fuel?
Wow now that’s impressive.

If your not using the extra power it might be slightly better mileage give or take the tune. If your using the power available it’s definitely not going to get better mileage.
The analogy of less throttle needed is false. The air going past the throttle is the same amount just under more pressure, therefore requires less throttle opening. It’s still the same amount of air it’s just a lot more dense, and requires the same amount of fuel for proper afr.
Optimized timing and afr nets slightly better mileage but that goes right out the window if your riding that beatch like you stole it.

Doesn’t matter Apex is history 150-160 hp product is gone from Yamaha line up. Low hanging fruit for 90ot Yamaha needs to respond or Apex niche will be lost to doo. Apex is dated in every way 900t is not is my point Yamaha can’t compete without a model. All my buds Apex are worn out not buying Vipers not enough SW to much hp and money. Apex engines are fantastic mills but heavy and wide done in sleds. Yamaha needs to have new chassis that fit all their hp niche engines take a modular approach to make money in snow biz.
Apex mill is not heavy and wide but I agree they are done.

Doesn’t matter Apex is history 150-160 hp product is gone from Yamaha line up. Low hanging fruit for 90ot Yamaha needs to respond or Apex niche will be lost to doo. Apex is dated in every way 900t is not is my point Yamaha can’t compete without a model. All my buds Apex are worn out not buying Vipers not enough SW to much hp and money. Apex engines are fantastic mills but heavy and wide done in sleds. Yamaha needs to have new chassis that fit all their hp niche engines take a modular approach to make money in snow biz.

Apex is the best sled Yamaha has ever built. Hard to move on!

So it Magically makes more horsepower with less fuel?
Wow now that’s impressive.

Talking trail riding, when you put on 3000 plus a year with a group of mainly 998t very easy to compare. Most of the time the tuned sleds are getting slightly better.

Last edited:
Fuel mileage is really more of a clutching thing. Tunes can help a little, but the factory has usually got this pretty close.
Some quick spool tunes are worse mileage due to the fact a rich mixture helps spool the turbo quicker.

Long strokes and small camshafts make for a good “mileage motor”. Longer stroke engines tend to be more efficient at lower rpm’s, extracting more power from the same amount fuel. Different strokes for different folks!
:dunno:
Not buying a turbo sled for the mileage, but hey that’s me

Yep.....more torque:hide::jump:

Shagman your such an instigator!!
:dead:

I think that’s hammer 70 on the right?
He’s just pounding that horse in the a$$

When I first got my 17 Winder I had to really try to get 10 mpg. I was ready to sell the *&$%## thing and would not tune it until they got me some reasonable mileage!

So you can say that you didn’t buy a boosted sled for mpg, but bad gas mileage sucks whereas I was worrying about fuel stops at 60 miles or so because if I logged on 80 miles it was on fumes. Suck suck suck, let me say it again, that really sucked. Now 15 mpg while running hard is where I am at and loving it. Hell, stay out of it on good conditions and 17 is attainable... 120 on the dream meter comes pretty easy on any trail conditions now also. Love that Max Spool 16, it’s just enough for me! Oh, a good dealer goes a long ways.

Apex is the best sled Yamaha has ever built. Hard to move on!
Yes for sure but time to buy alternative models putting big money into older high mileage Apex even with eps is foolish at some point. Blown header exup pipe is very expensive, stators big work and expense to install , new tracks all expensive repairs just don't make sense at some point. Not to mention the ever pita donuts. It’s great if you can find a used cream puff xtx or 2 with less than 1500 miles but nothing out there when I looked so the Enduro 900t got me and makes the Apex xtx seem outdated in every way and I luved my xtx!

Yes for sure but time to buy alternative models putting big money into older high mileage Apex even with eps is foolish at some point. Blown header exup pipe is very expensive, stators big work and expense to install , new tracks all expensive repairs just don't make sense at some point. Not to mention the ever pita donuts. It’s great if you can find a used cream puff xtx or 2 with less than 1500 miles but nothing out there when I looked so the Enduro 900t got me and makes the Apex xtx seem outdated in every way and I luved my xtx!

But an Apex is not worn out even at 20,000 miles. EXUP replacement header is about 1200 bucks donuts are not a problem on an 11 up. Not sure what you are talking about but I have had no problems with my 11 yet so putting money into it makes sense. Its not like the 11 ups are plagued with issues. They are not. If I have to replace a track its well worth it. With the mileage I have putting a few thousand into it is way less then a new sled and its good for another 8 years.

I put a new track in my Warrior at 9,000 miles because I tore it up on a rock in the whiteshell. Track on it has 9,000 miles I do not see any reason to change it. I will agree Apex is probably out dated but I have never been one to buy into things to keep up with the Jones's. Change for changes sake means little to me. Apex is in excellent condition and runs very well on the trails, that is what it was bought for. I still ride the Warrior and it still runs strong. Why the mileage thing scares people I don't know. I run a 10 year old Bike and a 10 year old Car. My truck is 9 years old.

I know where there is a 2015 leftover XTX with zero miles and quite a few 16 and 17's with low miles. The Doo 900T interests me and if I ever win a lottery I might spend the 18 to 20,000 bucks on a sled. I was even interested in the Cat 144 two up 998T but they stopped making it. I see its in the Yamaha lineup now. Still waiting for the machine that makes me say now there is the one to replace my Apex.

OK, i'm feeling the love & camaraderie again. Sometimes we just need to hear it now & then. Thanks SteveO!
I'm going to bring this thread right back to the title. "New T vs. Winder"
Although i'm partial to Yamaha because of my long time satisfaction with their products, i am in NO way brand loyal.
No matter what you buy whether it's a car, bike, truck or sled, you will find goods & bads to each make.
I also believe with a year or 2 of tuning, the tuners will get this T dialed in. It will never match a full tilt Winder, but it will make the majority of us very happy.

I definitely like the rear suspension on the T more then mine. I like the accessories & options it offers also. Little things like adjustable handlebars with marks on the handlebars for adjusting & also checking to see if something moved, are nice thought out features that show DOO has us riders on their minds.
I like the front end & looks on the Winder much better then the T.

This will probably be my last year on this Winder since it will be hard to sell with over 15,000 miles on it.
The T is high on my list, but will need some "motor massaging" since my 20,000 mile Apex spanks it like a BAD BAD girlfriend.

I've also been hearing with all these new DOO's is to precisely align the clutches. That & installing aftermarket clutch shroud makes a big difference in heat & performance consistency.

P.S. I am NOT condoning violence against women rather taking care of their "abusive Daddy" fantasies which is perfectly acceptable.

I have to disagree on this. With the exception of the apex feeling outdated. Regardless, it is still a great sled for sitdown style riding.
I dont know your mechanical abilities but fixing what you listed is effortless for me.
I have an 06 apex. I have actually done All my repairs myself. Theres simple and cheap solutions to everything listed.
Oil tanks can be welded and reinforced for $100-$150.
Donuts get replaced with copper donuts $100
Stator $300 and a SIMPLE install.
Exhaust welding $200
Fixing header pipes $300-$400.
Thats a little over a grand over the course of 10000 miles for the average sled. If you can weld, which i can, it cuts your costs just about in half.
If you are paying a dealer to do your services then i can see some of your point.
With the wealth of knowledge on this board and the willingness to help others theres absolutely no reason you cant do some of these things yourself.

Back