• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension setup

Studroes144

TY 4 Stroke God
Question for the guys that are setting up their rear suspensions. Are you noticing much gains by doing suspension adjusting and what are you doing for adjustment? I have my front shocks set at 65 pounds that seems to handle nicely. Rear suspension blocks are set on middle setting. I weigh 225. Any preload adjustment or limiter strap adjustment? Sled handles nicely but I feel there is a lot of room for improvement from adjusting rear suspension so any input or advice will help alot

Now I only put on 13 miles so far but I like the way the suspension feels. It will probably change/soften up once I get some miles on it but for the limited amount of miles I have on it...it feels good.

I am 225lbs...
Floats at 70lbs
Limiters stock
Billet blocks on soft
Full transfer

Anyone do any adjusting on the front spring on the rear suspension? Mine feels pretty stiff when I first come in to a bump. If I'm in the air and land it feels good and smooth but coming into bumps feels rough. Also it feels like the skid is rebounding pretty fast when I come off a bump. You can actually feel and hear it fully rebound back out

The thought did come to mind that I thought it was rebounding a little quick. I am not feeling any stiffness or being too stiff/rough coming into the bumps. It feels sweet to me because I thought my Nytro xtx rode like a brick.lol I wont make any changes to it till once I get some more miles on it and its broken in. Thinking forward...I am assuming I will lessen/play around with the transfer a bit.

Studroes144 said:
Anyone do any adjusting on the front spring on the rear suspension? Mine feels pretty stiff when I first come in to a bump. If I'm in the air and land it feels good and smooth but coming into bumps feels rough. Also it feels like the skid is rebounding pretty fast when I come off a bump. You can actually feel and hear it fully rebound back out
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have everything on soft in the rear skid shock spring all the way out just tight enough to keep the spring from rattling + full transfer, floats @65, haven't touched the straps yet, it helped a bit with the stiffness, but still too stiff for my liking and I'm 200 lbs with gear. My plan is to get some custom axis from hygear, like I did for my Nytro, they completely changed how how the sled rode day and night! Talked to hygear and they said this sled would benefit a lot from softer valving .

It realy depends on which version you are riding. The XTX is uncoupled and does not have the torsion bars and blocks. I have been up and dow on the rear fox float 2 shock pressure but still feel the front shock is way too stiff. The retainer (spanner nuts) are so tight I cannot get them to turn out on the trail with the supplied wrenches. I am close but want to get some preload out of it before buying other shocks.

I am going on the TY ride this weekend and will beat it up a bit more and see if it loosens at all.

Yamadog said:
It realy depends on which version you are riding. The XTX is uncoupled and does not have the torsion bars and blocks. I have been up and dow on the rear fox float 2 shock pressure but still feel the front shock is way too stiff. The retainer (spanner nuts) are so tight I cannot get them to turn out on the trail with the supplied wrenches. I am close but want to get some preload out of it before buying other shocks.

I am going on the TY ride this weekend and will beat it up a bit more and see if it loosens at all.

Those jam nuts are really tight I had to use extender on the supplied wrench to loosen it up.

Yes I'm still feeling like there is a little trouble with weight transfer. Went on a 35 mike ride tonight with my buddy who has the xf7000. They both handled the bumps exactly the same but the xf had a noticeable amount more of weight transfer. Could easily pull up front end over the bumps. Trails were very rough(2-3 foot moguls) and the sleds felt awesome! Stood up the whole time and just hammered the trails. Once we got to a trail with only like 6 inch bumps the sled felt too stiff. 65 pounds in floats and rear suspension on softest setting. Traded off with my other buddy who has a 2010 xrs. Smaller bumps it was smoother but couldn't wait to get back on the viper in the bigger bumps. Suspension is close just needs a little more plush in the small stuff

Studroes144 said:
Yes I'm still feeling like there is a little trouble with weight transfer. Went on a 35 mike ride tonight with my buddy who has the xf7000. They both handled the bumps exactly the same but the xf had a noticeable amount more of weight transfer. Could easily pull up front end over the bumps. Trails were very rough(2-3 foot moguls) and the sleds felt awesome! Stood up the whole time and just hammered the trails. Once we got to a trail with only like 6 inch bumps the sled felt too stiff. 65 pounds in floats and rear suspension on softest setting. Traded off with my other buddy who has a 2010 xrs. Smaller bumps it was smoother but couldn't wait to get back on the viper in the bigger bumps. Suspension is close just needs a little more plush in the small stuff
I hear some cat guys run their sleds without the transfer blocks and like it. I'd give it a try but I'm planning on getting axis so I'll just deal with it till then.

I'm going to first try removing the plastic blocks. Some of the cat guys have done that and really like it. If that doesn't do the trick I'll take out the whole shaft and see how that is but I doubt I'll leave it out. Have heard that the sled could come right over with them out. It doesn't need a lot more transfer but definitely needs some

Studroes144 said:
Question for the guys that are setting up their rear suspensions. Are you noticing much gains by doing suspension adjusting and what are you doing for adjustment? I have my front shocks set at 65 pounds that seems to handle nicely. Rear suspension blocks are set on middle setting. I weigh 225. Any preload adjustment or limiter strap adjustment? Sled handles nicely but I feel there is a lot of room for improvement from adjusting rear suspension so any input or advice will help alot
Barry I am a little heavier than you,but close enough,so I not only replaced the stock skis with 5.7 pilots with 7.5 shapers in the middle and the stock 4" carbides on the outside,than I ended up pulling the straps as tight as they will go,but I left my transfer blocks on max,nornally I set my transfer up lose,so my #*$&@ end slides just a tad and front end sticks hard even on lose snow,as I like to ride very aggressive thru the twisty and bumpy trails,but the down side to this set up is when trails set up like cement,it gets twitchy because these sleds set up fairly high,and you know what happens with a high center of gravity when you stick a ski in a slot on trail,its hard to keep it straight up,but this is the best so far I can get,and my torsion springs are set on firm,now at 240 # dry I may have to go to the next set of springs with higher rate.

Did 115 miles yesterday and can honestly say that it was torture for the last 50 miles. Trails were decent. Some rough some smooth but the worst part was the darting of the sled. It obviously affected handling but it really affected the ride as it was pulling me to every bump. Put my dual carbides on before my ride tonight and the difference is unreal. Aftermarket carbides are a must for anyone riding a viper. Was going to buy knee pads but after 300+ miles I'm not gonna bother. Haven't had my knees hit hardly at all. Drove a 2012 f800 for 15 miles yesterday and my knees killed from hitting. Got back on the viper and no problem at all. The higher seat on the viper makes a very noticeable difference there. After my ride tonight I'm very please with the handling and bump capability of the sled. Just need it to ride smoother when the trails aren't so rough

Back