• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension setup

Lol...that's not starting a war ;)!

I guess I like it rough, cause I think it's real close. The trail were really smooth except one or two. And maybe two three foot bumps. I just hit the gas and ride over them. It stays on track and don't really feel the bumps. I really like to jump and I don't want it to bottom out. Cause that hurts. So I will sacrifice a little bit on the ride. To me not really giving up to much. Smooth trails it's perfect. Maybe I would like a cushy ride if I didn't jump so much.

Well I guess our riding styles are pretty much the same. I've hit some nasty washouts on mine with suspension being as soft as possible and it never bottomed out, so for me it makes no sense to give up the ride quality when I absolutely don't have to. But hat's off to you for liking it stiff

there isnt any potential warranty issues with pulling those blocks out? seems like they need to be there to dampen the shock?

Well I'm 250 dressed and with the stock settings I was bottoming out. And I hate that! I don't really compromise that much. I like it set that way. I am a very hard rider and beat it up pretty good! Yamadog and apexGT40 and I went out and rode um real hard so they know how I ride. I search for anything that even looks like a jump...lol I really like how mine feels and handles great. I like how it holds it's line! Never feel like I'm in trouble. My Nytro would wonder all over the place.

DigitalFusion said:
there isnt any potential warranty issues with pulling those blocks out? seems like they need to be there to dampen the shock?

It will probably depend on your dealer. My blocks are in tho. All I'm saying is that this chassis has all the potential in the world and yamaha had to eff it up with their valving. I rode 2014 9000 137 limited and it's actually rides much smoother than my ltx. Yamaha should have just let cat deal with valving of the shocks.

I kinda want a bit more transfer, or more traction, something to replicate my ability to pull the front end up when I want like I had in the Apex with extros and an ice ripper track. This one seems to want to stay pretty flat

YamahaTim said:
Well I'm 250 dressed and with the stock settings I was bottoming out. And I hate that! I don't really compromise that much. I like it set that way. I am a very hard rider and beat it up pretty good! Yamadog and apexGT40 and I went out and rode um real hard so they know how I ride. I search for anything that even looks like a jump...lol I really like how mine feels and handles great. I like how it holds it's line! Never feel like I'm in trouble. My Nytro would wonder all over the place.
the weight could probably be the only difference between us, im 210 max with gear.

Ya we probably ride the same, hard! Clean it up grease it and melt the ice and snow and go beat on it again the next day! Sometimes I would like a soft ride when I'm in the mood to chill and follow my wife or friends, but when I get that wild side of me to come out I'm glad it's set up like it is. I guess for a long haul back packing I would soften it up. Or out west boondocking I would soften it up. I'm 43 years old and probably should soften it up and chill. I broke 7 bones in a crash in 2011 and should start taking it easy but, I guess I'm not ready for an Apex yet.

fxnytroxtx said:
DigitalFusion said:

It will probably depend on your dealer. My blocks are in tho. All I'm saying is that this chassis has all the potential in the world and yamaha had to eff it up with their valving. I rode 2014 9000 137 limited and it's actually rides much smoother than my ltx. Yamaha should have just let cat deal with valving of the shocks.

They arent that far off but I believe Cat did specify the valving. Remember these are first year shocks. I weigh 145lbs and bottomed my rear suspension on the high speed(above 60mph) G-outs with it set on soft and coupler in 2. Even on soft although acceptable to me it is a little stiff on the small stuff in rear. Front takes it all with the Evols and is plush. I will revalve and add a bottle to rear and if that doesnt work I will give Axis a call again. Mind you all this is WAAY closer than the Phazer or the Nytros were in first year so not disappointed at all and at least we have some specs to work with! Thanks Cat! I havent found the valving specs but hope those who take them apart will post them. I know I will.

Attachments

• 14 Cat Shock Piston Depths.jpg
    14 Cat Shock Piston Depths.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 133
DigitalFusion said:
I kinda want a bit more transfer, or more traction, something to replicate my ability to pull the front end up when I want like I had in the Apex with extros and an ice ripper track. This one seems to want to stay pretty flat

Are you in stock settings? Cripes I have no problem hoisting the front at 60mph! Cant believe 137 makes that much difference.

i have bottomed the rear once and the front twice at 70 lbs. my dry weight is 210 and i ride hard have not changed the shock settings just pulled out the transfer blocks. also have a bent front a arm (lower) sucks because now i have to paint a new one white to match.

My lower rear a-arm mounts have play in them. Right one is quite a bit. Bolts are tight. I rode it in some pretty good terrain for testing and breakin the first 500mi. But most were slower trails barely over 50mph mostly less but alot of jumps and alot of whoops. I suspect it was a good test of the future. Will need better bushings.

I was wondering how they would hold up. I have over 1400 miles and mine are still tight as they came. Hit a couple of rocks off trial and nothing happened. Was a little nervous though.

cannondale27 said:
DigitalFusion said:

Are you in stock settings? Cripes I have no problem hoisting the front at 60mph! Cant believe 137 makes that much difference.

yup, everything @ stock settings. Floats @ 55. If I give her the goose over a roller the front end gets light and might dangle them for a split second, but thats about it. Low speed with traction she'll lift them up if I get enough hook up. It did seem to start to wake up a lot more around the 100 mile mark (or maybe thats cause I was starting to take her over 6K for break-in), so maybe it will keep getting better? Im really missing the ice ripper at this point. I thought maybe a bit more transfer would help in the traction department but maybe I just need to bite the bullet and trade the stock track against an Ice Attak at tracksusa? I still want to be able to power-slide corners and am concerned that a 1.375 with carbide tips will make that no longer be an option.

I dont understand how you guys can have the suspension set so soft? I'm 230, front at 80psi, torsion spring set on 3, transfer set on 3, and straps all the way out. Went on a good ride sat and I bottomed one half a dozen times. Granted I ride hard and fast but anyone going over 40-50 will bottom out on any decent g-out. I wish we had a high speed dampning adjustment or any dampning adjust for that matter. Its give or take setting suspension up. Hard and fast or slow and peaceful. Both are fun but completely different setups.

Back