• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Suspesnion Mods... Not after market

JP10

Extreme
After I put a few miles on my 07 Phazer Mountain Lite last week, I quickly discovered that the rear suspension is way too soft!!! It was bottoming almost always on yes mom's, it was actually that hard of a ride that I would slow down below 20 km/h, as I was afraid of breaking the link.
I've seen a few interesting mods on this site that I think I am going to try, as I don't want to spend $1000 on an aftermartket suspension. I also don't want to mess with the coupling by making it couple quicker as I don't know much about that system. So the 3 mods I was thinking about are:

1. The yamaha anti-bottoming kit
- this seems like a no brainer, I am ordering this kit shortly and will try it in each of the 3 possible mounting holes to find the best results.

2. Placing a piece of plastic in the block where to end of the Torsion spring goes
- This seems like it would work as it would increase the tension in the spring.

3. Moving the block that holds the end of the torsion spring back roughly an inch to another existing hole.
- This would help stiffen the suspension as it moves the fulcrum and shortens the lever(torsion spring) This would work but there is an idler wheel held in the original position with the same bolt that holds the Block for Torsion spring, So I am concerned about moving this wheel an inch or so back, as this is near where the rails are curved up and I dont know how well the sliders would hold up.

As I said, I am ordering the Yamaha anit-bottom kit, but I think I am going to try option 2 or 3 as well, or even a combination of the two if necessary.

I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts of these mods were, or if they had any other suggestions.

Any comments appreciated,

Thanks
JP

Mountain Lite Bottoming

I just installed the torsion springs for a regular Phazer or FX on Wednesday past. She's stiffer in the soft posn now then it was in hard with the original springs. I helped a lot for yes mams!

Oh so the stock springs for a mountain aren't as stiff as the ones off a base model??? That doesn't make much sense!

Mountain Lite Bottoming

The original ML springs are soft for weight transfer in powder. They are 1700NMM. The Phazer GT springs are 2100NMM. The regular Phazer springs and FX springs are 2500NMM. The part #'s are 8GC-47473-00-00 and 8GC-47474-00-00 for the 2500NMM springs, left and right. They're about $145.00 Cdn per spring. With me and the missus on the machine I put the springs on the medium setting. It's about 1 hr at most to change the springs and I'd try that before doing anything else.

The next hole back is designed for the slider/ wheel it does not curve up at that location and works awesome, better then the anti bottoming kit, that one only works at the very last moment.

Back