• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Relay or Something Else?

Doug

Pro
Went to fire-up my '07 Attak the other day, and just like a couple weeks ago, turning the ignition switch on didn't power-up my dash or start the fuel pump right-away. Took a bit, like 5 seconds before I heard the relay click-on. Cycling the ignition switch did nothing. It acted normal the several times I started the sled after that.

I know the fuel pump relays go bad, but when they do, do you also not get power to the dash?

Or should I be looking elsewhere?

I bet the major cause of electrical mystery gremlins I see on this site are weak batteries. My sled doesn't have a pull cord so I'll replace the battery if I have the slightest reason to question it's condition.

Check the connections at the relay block that's above the oil tank for corrosion as well. Mine did a similar ting a few years ago and it ended up being a "key-on" wire that goes through there. They're not weather tight connections, and if I remember right (I'm not near my sled or a service manual) there's a small green wire (hope my memory of the color is correct) that is terminated in that block that can get corroded . My '06 has had issues with that from time to time until I ended up replacing all the wire ends and greased all the connections.

Check the connections at the relay block that's above the oil tank for corrosion as well. Mine did a similar ting a few years ago and it ended up being a "key-on" wire that goes through there. They're not weather tight connections, and if I remember right (I'm not near my sled or a service manual) there's a small green wire (hope my memory of the color is correct) that is terminated in that block that can get corroded . My '06 has had issues with that from time to time until I ended up replacing all the wire ends and greased all the connections.[/QUO
Check the connections at the relay block that's above the oil tank for corrosion as well. Mine did a similar ting a few years ago and it ended up being a "key-on" wire that goes through there. They're not weather tight connections, and if I remember right (I'm not near my sled or a service manual) there's a small green wire (hope my memory of the color is correct) that is terminated in that block that can get corroded . My '06 has had issues with that from time to time until I ended up replacing all the wire ends and greased all the connections.
Mine done the same thing two years ago Problem was the battery

Thanks for the replies guys, trying to make mental notes to remember all the different spots on these things where wire connections can cause gremlins.

It ended-up being the red kill switch on the throttle block, if you wiggle it just right the dash quits. using it to kill power and then pulling it back up sometimes takes a bit for it to power-up.

The Yammi microfiche doesn't actually have an item number pointing to that switch in the throttle block, but lists "Switch, handle 3" 8FP-83973-00-00 that sure seems to be it.

$80, wow, lol.

Back