• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Venture TF starting issues

BombaPolaYama

TY 4 Stroke Master
I have a 2010 RS Venture TF with intermittent starting issues. On occasion, l turn the key as usual to let the fuel pump cycle up and it does so as expected but then when l turn the key to start, l just get a click. This was happening last season and l could get it to start by lifting the front and dropping it or by turning the primary clutch a little counter clockwise and would start as normal. I tried a new Yamaha starter relay last year and still having the same problem. I assumed the starter was sticking or whatever so l took it to the shop this year but the mechanic said he's pretty sure it's not the starter so they didn't strip it down to check it. He said it seems like a relay problem.... Of course it started great in the shop. Got it back and used it for 4 days without issue and then it started to act up again.

Amy ideas on what's going on here? Did l get a faulty relay? Is there an underlying problem that's causing this or something killing the relay? Is there a way to check a relay?

Any help appreciated.

When it does it, jump the relay posts to see if it is the starter. If it starts this way but not with the switch, you likely got a dud relay unless the relay is not getting energized, which could be the ignition switch, which you could jump there too.

When it does it, jump the relay posts to see if it is the starter. If it starts this way but not with the switch, you likely got a dud relay unless the relay is not getting energized, which could be the ignition switch, which you could jump there too.
Thanks for the reply...would you kindly explain the jumping procedure...l'm not overly mechanical. Is there any danger of damaging any electrical components by jumping the relay or switch?

On the starter relay, there are two posts with nuts on them. One wire from the battery and the other that goes to the starter. Use a tool like a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to jump battery power directly to the starter. There should be a fairly big spark. Pull the two rubber boots and jump the two terminals (circled)

Starter posts.jpg

On the starter relay, there are two posts with nuts on them. One wire from the battery and the other that goes to the starter. Use a tool like a pair of pliers or a screwdriver to jump battery power directly to the starter. There should be a fairly big spark. Pull the two rubber boots and jump the two terminals (circled)

View attachment 175486
Thank-you sir.

Any idea as to why it will start when l turn the clutch slightly? Would that indicate the starter sticking maybe?

Sometimes in an electric motor there will be a spot where the motor can't start itself. This could be for a number of reasons, bad winding, magnets coming loose or old brushes not making contact. I have had cars in the past where I had to turn the motor over with the fan belt a little to get it to start.

Sometimes in an electric motor there will be a spot where the motor can't start itself. This could be for a number of reasons, bad winding, magnets coming loose or old brushes not making contact. I have had cars in the past where I had to turn the motor over with the fan belt a little to get it to start.
Okay thanks for the explanation. I suppose there's no way to know this other than trying another starter?

Yes your are right. I would definitely check out all the easier stuff first. Loose connections, faulty relays, bad grounds, oxidized fuses, etc. Then change your starter, :). I have been in the same position many times. You kind of know what it is but you are hoping it's not so. lol

Back