• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rubbing sound at front of skid

Yehaf

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Nytro xtx
Just got to try out my new xtx le this morning, and in the front part of skid around the drive wheels there is a rubbing noise. It's either the drive wheels on the front of skid or on track, loud, vibrates the sled. It happens when I go over uneven terrain or letting of on throttle its happens mostly. My limiter straps look pretty loose too, not sure where they should be set. Anybody have any suggestions, or have this happen?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 969

Just got to try out my new xtx le this morning, and in the front part of skid around the drive wheels there is a rubbing noise. It's either the drive wheels on the front of skid or on track, loud, vibrates the sled. It happens when I go over uneven terrain or letting of on throttle its happens mostly. My limiter straps look pretty loose too, not sure where they should be set. Anybody have any suggestions, or have this happen?

Yep! Had a new one do that at our Thanksgiving ride. He dropped the front of the skid to the bottom holes and it went away. I think he will see this and comment also.

Do the XTX's have those antistab wheels on them? No reason you should have to tighten limiter strap. Somethings not right.

That was mine that we had to adjust in the parking lot at Grand Mesa. We just dropped the skid to the lower front holes and the middle holes on the rear. The noise went away. I experience the exact same things you are. Uneven terrain or deceleration.

If you take your hand on the top of the track you can flick it up and hear it hitting the tunnel. To change it undo the rear tri hub to allow more flex in the track. Remove the rear bolts, then the front ones. Move the front ones down, then reinsert the rears in the middle holes. Tighten track and do up trihub. Took us only 10 minutes. Yes they have anti-stab wheels.

Do the XTX's have those antistab wheels on them? No reason you should have to tighten limiter strap. Somethings not right.

See my post above, something changed. We examined that sled every which way and then gave up and moved the skid down. Maybe somebody that has more time can determine what actually changed.

Any evidence of the track rubbing the tunnel anywhere? It can happen with the 141 skid even with a 1.6 Cobra especially if it's on the loose side

My track was adjusted almost perfectly, but when it started we tightened it a bit as we thought maybe it was too loose but that made no difference. Its almost like its a geometry issue in the skid but not sure. I do know that it went away by lowering the skid.

Any evidence of the track rubbing the tunnel anywhere? It can happen with the 141 skid even with a 1.6 Cobra especially if it's on the loose side

I was thinking the same thing.

That was mine that we had to adjust in the parking lot at Grand Mesa. We just dropped the skid to the lower front holes and the middle holes on the rear. The noise went away. I experience the exact same things you are. Uneven terrain or deceleration.

If you take your hand on the top of the track you can flick it up and hear it hitting the tunnel. To change it undo the rear tri hub to allow more flex in the track. Remove the rear bolts, then the front ones. Move the front ones down, then reinsert the rears in the middle holes. Tighten track and do up trihub. Took us only 10 minutes. Yes they have anti-stab wheels.
So there's a little more to it than tightening limiter strap at the front. I'll have to try to change that in the morning. As far as tightening track, how much flex do you have when you push down on middle of track? I thought track might be too loose too, I tightened it a bit.

I went from 2" in the middle of the bottom at about 20lbs as per manual to almost none. Even when it was super tight it still had some flap on the topside of the track that I could get it to hit the tunnel.

Am I better off doing this with weight on skid, or should I lift it?

I used to run my nytro as loose as possible.
These sleds seem to need to be tighter then spec.
There's a lot of slop at spec.

We lifted the skid off the ground with an implement jack and let the air out of the rear shock to help compress it. Again we did it in a parking lot with rudimentary tools and it still was only about 10-15 minutes.

We lifted the skid off the ground with an implement jack and let the air out of the rear shock to help compress it. Again we did it in a parking lot with rudimentary tools and it still was only about 10-15 minutes.
I tightened limiter strap in front, still makes noise, I'm not sure what rear bolts you are talking about. Any chance you could explain where they are, or show me a pic please and thanks.

I think there talking about dropping the skid to these holes in red.

Attachments

• xtxle.jpg
    xtxle.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 903

Back