• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx1 what to look for

bret151

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 yamaha nytro xtx star suspension,excell header, ulmer clutch,ulmer k&n, exit shocks .
i'm looking at getting a rx1 what do i look for when looking used ?i curerently have a 1997 skidoo mach 1 tripple i completely restored. i want to go 4 stroke,.

There are a couple of threads here where people have bought one and asked what upgrades should be done. I would go down that list and see what matters to you and then look for a sled that has as many of those upgrades as possible. Then ride it to see what you think before doing anything else. Some people's 'Must do' items don't matter to others, it depends on personal preference and what kind of riding you do. The mileage isn't a big concern but still the lower the better.

Start here: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=93704

The intensity of the miles and care/maintenance are far more important than the number of miles. The engine itself, when properly maintained, should, in theory, be able to run hundreds of thousands of miles. Some people have put tens of thousands on these machines without major problems. The first scheduled internal engine maintenance is the valve tappet clearance at 25000 miles.

That being said, some people have a gift for abusing things like sleds, so you could see one that is completely wrecked with under 2500 miles.

A thorough inspection of the machine is crucial. Checking things like skid bearings can indicate the kind of maintenance that the machine was given. Indication of having been in a collision is very bad. Front end "looseness" is fairly normal and really doesn't indicate anything. If the front end is really tight (not tight as in hard to steer, but tight as in stuff doesn't shake around), then it has probably had some TLC.

Look for anything that indicates that the thing has ever had weird engine modifications -- having weird big holes through things could indicate a past turbo charger. Such engines, though certainly can last if properly set up and maintained, are much more likely to have been subjected to severe abuse.

If gramps bought it new and you're buying it from gramps, then most likely it is what it looks like. Mint.

Finally, TALK to the previous owner. If the previous owner is a freak, the machine was probably abused and he's hiding things -- like the reason he's selling it. If the previous owner is knowledgeable and familiar with the maintenance requirements, then you probably have a winner.

And finally, EVERYTHING CAN BE FIXED. If you end up with a DUD, its not the end of the world.

Back