• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SD_39 Code

I would think if the original poster contacted a good tuner and stated what type of exhaust it is that they could give him a tune that works. Not to mention 30-40HP woo hoo!

Maybe consider Hurricane or TD.. If your looking for a little more and safe tuning go for the 240-250 hp range tunes and a muffler from the tuner your using.. The lower tunes are very reliable from both companies and are not nearly as sensitive to fuel quality.. Both offer nice upgrades for your stock fuel pump and other stock equipment.. Once you start bumping to the bigger tunes you need to do some upgrades/add on equipment to keep them safe.. Ran thousands of miles on TD eco tune when the sidewinders first came out.. No data logging no nothing just a loaded tune in the ecu and go.. Really wakes them up down low, and keeps them SAFE.. Sounds like your looking for a little(bump HP) but headed down the wrong path to start. No worries this is the right place to ask questions and you may have saved your engine because you did come on and ask..

PC5s on Apexs worked by connecting between the ECU and injectors to control fuel....I bet this system works the same.
Yes, they work on non-boosted engines where consumption (air mass) is linear with RPM. Whenever you get into turbos, the variables available and variable boost means you can no longer use a linear management system like the PC5 or this thing. piggy back system like the dobrek. At best, they would work in very low boost applications but only operate efficiently within a sweet spot. All these systems can do - being blind to the engine demand - is modify the injector duty cycle, nowhere near accurate enough for a boosted engine especially one that relies on specific measurements (MAP) to make management decisions.

Last edited:
Yes, they work on non-boosted engines where consumption (air mass) is linear with RPM. Whenever you get into turbos, the variable boost means you can no longer use a linear management system like the PC5 or this thing. At best, they would work in very low boost applications but only operate efficiently within a sweet spot. All these systems can do - being blind to the engine demand - is modify the injector duty cycle, nowhere near accurate enough for a boosted engine especially one that relies on specific measurements (MAP) to make management decisions.
The PC5 systems are old school now compared to the tunes, flashes, and info we can get from the 998 performance vendors. But in a previous time, pre sidewinder, I had installed a PC5 with ignition module, Autotune, and a POD 300 on the 22PSI SC Apex I put together but no longer have. The POD 300 gave the system data logging, AFR, Boost and other info display. You could set that system up with a linear throttle position fuel map or from a boost pressure map then let the auto tune adjust for your preset desired AFRs. The system worked flawlessly after initial base map building. I liked the system so much that I also installed the complete system on my Yamacharged Attak that I still ride occasionally and again it works great and has for many years.
We are spoiled with the tunes we can get now for our 998s as we need to do very little engine timing, and fueling ourselves...LOL...I sometimes wonder how I got it all figured out in the past.

The PC5 systems are old school now compared to the tunes, flashes, and info we can get from the 998 performance vendors. But in a previous time, pre sidewinder, I had installed a PC5 with ignition module, Autotune, and a POD 300 on the 22PSI SC Apex I put together but no longer have. The POD 300 gave the system data logging, AFR, Boost and other info display. You could set that system up with a linear throttle position fuel map or from a boost pressure map then let the auto tune adjust for your preset desired AFRs. The system worked flawlessly after initial base map building. I liked the system so much that I also installed the complete system on my Yamacharged Attak that I still ride occasionally and again it works great and has for many years.
We are spoiled with the tunes we can get now for our 998s as we need to do very little engine timing, and fueling ourselves...LOL...I sometimes wonder how I got it all figured out in the past.

I shouldn't have picked on the PC5, I mean these style of tuners in general and this dobrek in particular, will fix what I wrote. With so much of the systems on todays machines being accessible through software (gauge cluster, individual - non engine items like IQS, EPS, can bus, etc) these external piggyback systems just cannot take advantage of the number and diversity of data streams available to todays ECU/flashes.

Superchargers are more linear in operation than turbos (more predictable). I would still not try to run a turbo at peak efficiency using a piggyback system unless that system was as sophisticated or even more so than the original ECU.

I shouldn't have picked on the PC5, I mean these style of tuners in general and this dobrek in particular, will fix what I wrote. With so much of the systems on todays machines being accessible through software (gauge cluster, individual - non engine items like IQS, EPS, can bus, etc) these external piggyback systems just cannot take advantage of the number and diversity of data streams available to todays ECU/flashes.

Superchargers are more linear in operation than turbos (more predictable). I would still not try to run a turbo at peak efficiency using a piggyback system unless that system was as sophisticated or even more so than the original ECU.
You were right on with your comments....I was just expanding on it that you need way more then a simple fuel controller on anything like our 998s.

Two years ago i had sd 39 that came up on full throttle. Also had sd 26 cutting boost on mid throttle. Had to replace ecu to solve the problem.

Back