• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Side Winder turbos - who supplies them?

Mills

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'14 Viper RTX, '06 Apex, '99 SX 600, '74 TL433F, '79 Trail Fire
With MPI going by the wayside who is now supplying Yamaha with the turbo systems used on Side Winders? I was told it is Push but I cannot verify that.

IHI is a huge Japanese conglomerate that makes tubos for honda, Subaru and other Japanese companies. The Red Bull FI car that has a Honda powerplant this year has an IHI tubro in it.

Sooo - you would think they know a thing or two about building them. So why did mine pack it in after only a thousand km's - who knows....

Really wish a rebuild kit would surface.
MS

If I where to guess when a turbo makes it 1000 miles or km's and it fails very good chance that the cause of failure is something beyond the turbo. Ie. most people don't let them idle after they just been hammering down the trail. You need to let the engine idle to stabilize the oil temp before shut down. Not saying this is what cause it there are a lot of different things but when something spins at 150k rpm and sees duty cycles from outside temp to 1300ish a lot of things can go wrong and there is no wiggle room.

If I where to guess when a turbo makes it 1000 miles or km's and it fails very good chance that the cause of failure is something beyond the turbo. Ie. most people don't let them idle after they just been hammering down the trail. You need to let the engine idle to stabilize the oil temp before shut down. Not saying this is what cause it there are a lot of different things but when something spins at 150k rpm and sees duty cycles from outside temp to 1300ish a lot of things can go wrong and there is no wiggle room.

Maybe Oil Coking? Burns up the bearings? You would think Yamalube would prevent this but your right about the abuse turbo bearings take.

If I were able to find a wrecked Sidewinder could I transfer the parts from The Sidewinder to my Viper including the ECU and utilize the Turbo System from a sidewinder?

If I were able to find a wrecked Sidewinder could I transfer the parts from The Sidewinder to my Viper including the ECU and utilize the Turbo System from a sidewinder?

If you had the entire engine and gauge cluster it would be possible but the 998 Winder motor with smaller cams and displacement would require a different tune in the ecu. Also the 1049 didn’t have provisions on the block for the knock sensor. I would be willing to bet the Viper gauge cluster won’t work with a Sidewinder ecu. I believe the fuel pump is also different.

Call Hurricane, they have Viper turbo kits. Less headache.

Appreciate the comments but after only 600km the turbo was really whining on spool-down. Then took it on another trip and put another 600km and it was getting louder. Thank goodness Yamaha warrantied it but there was no diagnosis what the problem was. The old turbo sat on my dealers bench for 3 mos. I bet its still there.

Offered to buy it from him but he wouldn't let it go as it was technically yamahas property still.
MS

So turbo whine on shutdown is a symptom of a failing turbo? Guess I'll be trying to warranty mine sometime this season.

All I know is that I have 3 friends with SW's, and their sleds did not make this sound. From the time I did two trips last year (from new) it was getting louder. There was still lots of free play on the turbine on the wind-down but the sound was getting earie.

In a panic (with an upcoming trip to Quebec), I made some noise at the dealer and they replaced it. I couldn't afford to have it come apart on the trail, and the season was winding down to claim warranty. Aga.in, would love to know what was going on inside, but it seemed like no one cared.

I have seen many post their turbos on this site and facebook that have had the exact same thing happen and they warrantied theirs. It was my dealers opinion it was going bad. These machines really should have a 3 season warranty or a 10-15k km limit similar to a car warranty. One season is a cop-out.
MS

Back