• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

Chris were you at TJ's in Trout Creek last Saturday , around lunchtime ?
There were 8 sleds there , 7 Yammies , and 4 were sidewinders !
No, I was at Camp Conewango for lunch. On Talon lake . I saw several sidewinders on Saturday. Always looking for someone to ride with.

So, its been a couple of years and I am seeing a lot of mix thoughts about SideWinder, If a person was in a position they could get a 2019 should the pull the trigger , are the issues less and further in between or ?

Put the first 1000 km on my 2018 STX DX in 3 days and just love this new sled , first oil change at dealer no flat spots on rollers, no loose or broken bolts. Needless to say im very happy with this sled and the ride, the power is crazy and exciting. I traded my 2012 Nytro for this and would recommend this sled, every make has Demons and Gremlins to work through nothing is perfect, but i love this site with fellow snowmobilers helping and giving their advice to better these sleds . Keep up the good work people and safe sledding

You see a negative view of them on here as owners don’t come to say my sled didn’t break, they come to say this happened who else. No issues on any of those that I know of mine and my father’s included.
I realize they come on here to say that, my dealer updated my clutch rollers before he turned it over to me so hopefully they are all doing it.

So, its been a couple of years and I am seeing a lot of mix thoughts about SideWinder, If a person was in a position they could get a 2019 should the pull the trigger , are the issues less and further in between or ?
Very little has changed since 17. The 17's really didn't have any major problems except flat spots on secondary rollers. My 18 only had 2 updates and one was a reflector sticker, lol

Very little has changed since 17. The 17's really didn't have any major problems except flat spots on secondary rollers. My 18 only had 2 updates and one was a reflector sticker, lol
The other update was to remove the limiter bolt and change the direction it was installed.

2018 sidewinder. I can drive the sled all day and not have any problems, but when I am hard on it, about 80mph it goes into limp mode and getting code sd26 (supposed to be a boost leak). I shut they key off and turn it back on and it works normal again for a while. I went over the sled myself and I cant find any boost leaks. I had it to the dealer and they went over everything and so far are not able to find any leaks. they by passed the vacuum hose going from the wastegate solenoid to the air box. basically, they capped off the nipple on the back of the air box and left the solenoid open. (they were directed to try this from Yamaha head office as they thought the line could be froze up) . It didn't fix the problem.
Anyone else have problems with code sd26?

Did you ever get a satisfactory answer, or has the issue resolved? There is another thread on the sd-26 alarm code. My buddy and I both had that same issue on our new Sidewinders on a below zero day with lots of snow dust. The dealer acknowledged that lots of sleds were having that issue in the extreme cold, apparently moisture pooling in a low spot on the line and freezing up. In the other thread, they have suggested a bypass to fix the issue, not sure if it is the same one that you have already done.

Hey all
I Ran 1000km on 230hp SM TD tune. Switched to Powertrail SM and did 100km WOT, took photos of rollers and belt to compare. I did a few hard brakes and now I am experiencing a squeak at initial take off, I am assuming belt is sitting to low in secondary but it sounds more serious than just a belt. Does anybody know what I have done or what I can do to eliminate the squeak?
Belt is within spec

Last edited:
Any fluids leaking onto clutches like coolant for example ? Or maybe just wet from playing in that powder ?

Belt is dry, no coolant leaking that I can see. Levels are good. The squeak happens even after a slow stop groomed or pow

Belt is dry, no coolant leaking that I can see. Levels are good. The squeak happens even after a slow stop groomed or pow
Check chain tension... shine a light on those hoses next to clutches sometimes there's a tiny coolant leak and it makes its way along those hoses and onto clutches. Clean clutch faces.

Check chain tension... shine a light on those hoses next to clutches sometimes there's a tiny coolant leak and it makes its way along those hoses and onto clutches. Clean clutch faces.

Ok will do that next, Thank you!

How many miles on a stock sled & belt are we seeing? I've got a 1,000 miles on my stock LTX-LE so far. Most of the guys blowing belts seem to be on sleds that they have made either Clutching or HP changes.

2400 miles/2 years so far on the original belt. It looks fine. I do a lot of lake riding too and have had no issues. Everything is stock.

BINGO!
You nailed it. The seal was pissing oil. Cause was not determined but the Tech at the dealership called Yamaha Canada and was told to do a pressure test on the reservoir. Once he did, he found the leak pretty easily. The “seal” was replaced and it’s good to go. Of note- the Tech at the dealership said this is the result of Yamaha marrying Arctic Cat, that if it was Yamaha’s frame, a gasket not a silicone seal would have been used and this would never have been an issue. I hope if others are experiencing this breakdown, that Yamaha will do an update and install proper gaskets to seal the reservoirs. It was all covered by warranty.

When the Tech called Yamaha Canada, their suggestion for the cause of the oil leak was condensation buildup in the Rollover valve, which then froze, causing the pressure buildup, which caused the silicone seal to fail. They said that I am driving the sled when the sleds cold. In other words, I haven’t allowed sufficient engine warm ups. I store both Sidewinders in a heated garage 24/7 and they are idled till the flashing red instrument cluster light stops, before I go anywhere- as instructed by the dealer Tech where I purchased both. Yesterday, the failure occurred at the end of a 90 minute hard run, including running the sled up to 170km/h at one point. So, how does it freeze?? Excessive speed in cold temps?? About minus 26 when I was riding yesterday. If that’s the case, then I think it’s a design flaw, because no parts should fail due to normal usage in normal cold temps, especially in 2017.

On another note- great experience at this dealership. Everyone genuinely cared and were very friendly. The Tech- Darwin- was excellent. Dealership- Premier Yamaha, SSTE Marie, On.

I had this happen in Copper Harbor on a -12 degree morning after I had my 500 mile check up done on the 2018 X-TX SE 141. It blew the silicone gasket on the oil tank. Once it leaked out to the breach it ran like a champ for the next 100 miles.

There were many comments on what it could be, but my buds in Greenland Michigan knew exactly what it was. Bottom line is don't fill the oil to the fill line. If you do, extreme conditions could make it blow the silicone gasket.
Guys on the forum said "you did not let it warm up enough, the roll over valve froze up etc..... I started it up and let it warm up until it shut itself off, twice, so that wasn't the issue. Yamaha at first told us they have never seen the problem before, then they came back with this info and I have been good with 3 oil changes so far.
Hope this helps.

Back