• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Problems and Warranty Items.

1800 miles no blown belts , osp adjuster since 500 miles , changed out the secondary rollers to hi torque before it ever hit the snow. 119 mph . friend of mine has the thundercat with the same miles amount of miles and his belt snapped about 150 miles ago.
only problem I see with mine is when I burp the tank and cram all the gas in I can it cuts out at about 6500-7000 rmp for the first 20-30 miles then is fine, I stopped burping the tank and never happened again .
I burp my tank regularly , and no issues !
Must be something else .

Hi,

I read what was written at the top of this forum but I was advised by another forum to post here to get some feedback.

My Yamaha dealer has had my snowmobile there for almost a month now. This is the third time its been there since buying it on Dec. 30, 2016.

I should have known something wasn't right when the sled I originally wanted, the L-TX DX, was sold right out from under me and they could not get another one they said. Then they said the X-TX SE was the right sled.

Since then, the sled has blown through three belts. After the second one blew, less then two months into owning it with a little over 1,000 miles, I called the dealer and they said bring it in. They replaced the rollers and adjusted the clutches and the next week, the belt blew again.

Upon bringing it back to the dealer, I told them that the adjustment they did, took the top end off the sled. She went from 0 to 80 then... nothing, that was it.

The dealer told me they called their dealer representative and a technician from California was coming out to check the sled because "they can't figure out what's wrong with it - they've done all they can and they don't know why she's ripping through belts like that."

The belts that I have brought in are like nothing I have ever seen - or the service department at the dealer they said. It is sheared down only on one side - the inner side.

The sled also had some scorching inside the right outer panel - they had to replace an exhaust shield, which they said was causing the problems.

The only other issue was a track adjustment bolt snapped inside the adjustor

With all this being said, anyone else having any similar issues? Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• belt1.jpg
    belt1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 519
  • belt2.jpg
    belt2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 466
  • belt3.jpg
    belt3.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 483
  • belt4.jpg
    belt4.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 483
  • belt5.jpg
    belt5.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 481
I went through the same issues at only 605 miles they had my sled for over 2 months and the replaced the rollers adjusted the secondary replaced the chain case an all components because it was all toast. Even the jack shaft was replaced. I asked for a replacement sled and was to by Yamaha my sled has warranty so no. My wife and 3 year old drove 6 hours to come get me where I was stranded on a backpack trip. There sorry was 3 new belts and that's it. Yamaha is turning into a #$%&* company! My family has been a Yamaha family for 2 generations and that is all done now. My sled is for sale and I will move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same. Had a 2004 Warrior, bought it brand new, put 16,000 miles on it in four years then bought an Attak, put 10,000 miles on that one, have another Attak with almost 8,000 miles on it. Bought a 2016 Vyper, it had no balls, sold it after one ride in December 2016 and bought this Sidewinder. What happened to the solid Yamahas they used to build!

I feel the same. Had a 2004 Warrior, bought it brand new, put 16,000 miles on it in four years then bought an Attak, put 10,000 miles on that one, have another Attak with almost 8,000 miles on it. Bought a 2016 Vyper, it had no balls, sold it after one ride in December 2016 and bought this Sidewinder. What happened to the solid Yamahas they used to build!

It's built by arctic cat. That's why the Yamaha engine runs good and the rest is garbage with aggressive styling to deceive you.
fd3e7459b1e460ef575869284fd498be.jpg
fcda9171743d75be514871140ba94aed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have had serious chassis trouble with my ltx-dx sidewinder. The rearmost shock at the lowest mount and the brackets holding it somehow broke and swivelled down onto the track and destroyed the track as the suspension parts wore on the track. Yamaha covered the repair with some armtwisting because the track was studded. Ruined my holidays and was in the shop for almost 5weeks. Still not sure how this occurred.

flat spot on the roller wouldnt cause that IMHO Im thinking you have an offset issue.

another thing for everyone to check is your frame spars....a loose spar might cause the chassis to flex

Reactions: mp5
Hi,

I read what was written at the top of this forum but I was advised by another forum to post here to get some feedback.

My Yamaha dealer has had my snowmobile there for almost a month now. This is the third time its been there since buying it on Dec. 30, 2016.

I should have known something wasn't right when the sled I originally wanted, the L-TX DX, was sold right out from under me and they could not get another one they said. Then they said the X-TX SE was the right sled.

Since then, the sled has blown through three belts. After the second one blew, less then two months into owning it with a little over 1,000 miles, I called the dealer and they said bring it in. They replaced the rollers and adjusted the clutches and the next week, the belt blew again.

Upon bringing it back to the dealer, I told them that the adjustment they did, took the top end off the sled. She went from 0 to 80 then... nothing, that was it.

The dealer told me they called their dealer representative and a technician from California was coming out to check the sled because "they can't figure out what's wrong with it - they've done all they can and they don't know why she's ripping through belts like that."

The belts that I have brought in are like nothing I have ever seen - or the service department at the dealer they said. It is sheared down only on one side - the inner side.

The sled also had some scorching inside the right outer panel - they had to replace an exhaust shield, which they said was causing the problems.

The only other issue was a track adjustment bolt snapped inside the adjustor

With all this being said, anyone else having any similar issues? Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Almost looks to me like belt is rubbing on something.

Almost looks to me like belt is rubbing on something.

yes..or that ..but what..oh i know...check under the clutch guard....the rivets hanging down....if your secondary momentarily binds you could get a bunch of slack and the belt hits the clutch guard...there would be black skid "witness" marks to prove this theory...

My dealer took care of the loose turbo bolt issue before I took delivery of the sled. I asked him about the secondary roller flat spot issue and he said that I already have the "updated" rollers from the factory based on the build date. I will be putting in my TD rollers that came with the clutch kit anyway so that is a moot point.

I certainly hope that I do not experience some of the other issues that you guys (and gals) are reporting. I purchased 4 years of YES for a total of 5 years of warranty and peace of mind.

My dealer took care of the loose turbo bolt issue before I took delivery of the sled. I asked him about the secondary roller flat spot issue and he said that I already have the "updated" rollers from the factory based on the build date. I will be putting in my TD rollers that came with the clutch kit anyway so that is a moot point.

I certainly hope that I do not experience some of the other issues that you guys (and gals) are reporting. I purchased 4 years of YES for a total of 5 years of warranty and peace of mind.
Once these minor issues are fixed you won't be able to keep the smile off your face.

Back