• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Simmons generation 1 or Yamaha Tuner ski?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX SE
My 2014 viper needs something better than Woody's Duallies
Thinking Simmons gen 1 or yamaha tuner.
What's your thoughts?

My initial impressions of the new tuner is no darting to speak of. Steering effort minimal. With 7.5" shapers inside and stock bars (more or less bare) outside I could use some more bite under aggressive riding and high speed cornering, but if you have a moderate riding style, the bite should be sufficient.

Thanks I'm totally in love with my flexi skis on my polaris, I've had them 10 years and when I put them on my polaris it made a night and day difference.
Now I have the viper and everyone had issues last year with the push in the corners
I just don't want to buy the tuners and wish I got the simmons

My boss was testing Tuners on his Turbo cat last weekend. Heavier steering than stock and they still pushed even with that tanks heavy front end. The fronts of carbides also wore quicker than rear and he had the Yamaha mount kit in there. He put the tried and true Curves back on. I will not be buying Tuners.

I have never used tuners so I can't comment on them.
Just installed flexi skis with 4 inch shaper bars inside and outside on my 14 viper RTX
they are far more aggressive than the stock ski and have much heavier steering.
I have my front limiter strap pulled up to the second hole. Other than that. No other mods to speak of.

So far I like them just need to get the steering a little lighter with some suspension changes.

Tuners are nice due to the low cost and better than the stock skis most new machines come with but not up to what aftermarket skis will do for you

One thing to think of on the simmons - The steering knuckle on this sled causes the skis to lay over as the skis turn. I ran them on my XTX last year and had a real hard problem with heavy steering. When the ski tilts you are forcing the ski to lift the front of the sled. When parked on shop floor and during full steering lock the outside wear bar is almost 3/4" off the floor. I went back to center keel ski and sterring effort is 3/4 less. On stock ski with dual 8" bars they ski rocks on the center bars and is much easier to turn on shop floor and much easier in the snow.

One thing to think of on the simmons - The steering knuckle on this sled causes the skis to lay over as the skis turn. I ran them on my XTX last year and had a real hard problem with heavy steering. When the ski tilts you are forcing the ski to lift the front of the sled. When parked on shop floor and during full steering lock the outside wear bar is almost 3/4" off the floor. I went back to center keel ski and sterring effort is 3/4 less. On stock ski with dual 8" bars they ski rocks on the center bars and is much easier to turn on shop floor and much easier in the snow.

Thats interesting info on the simmons.
Were you running dual 8 or 9 inch carbides?
i will look at what you are talking about when i get up to maine this weekend.
I have stock skis, simmons, doo pilot 6.9, and usi triple threats to try on this sled so if i cant get one working to my liking i will just try something else till i find what works best for me

So I ordered the Simmons today
They worked awesome on my old sled for corner push and ski lift issues. Been a big fan of them since so that's that I'll let everyone know how I like them

I have never used tuners so I can't comment on them.
Just installed flexi skis with 4 inch shaper bars inside and outside on my 14 viper RTX
they are far more aggressive than the stock ski and have much heavier steering.
I have my front limiter strap pulled up to the second hole. Other than that. No other mods to speak of.

So far I like them just need to get the steering a little lighter with some suspension changes.
When my polaris edge first came out it had same issues guys were moving straps stiffening front suspension Blah blah blah. I tried those methods then put the Simmons on and set up suspension back to stock

Back