• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark Plugs

ttw_walman

Extreme
I might sound like I'm stupid but how do you check the plugs on the 4-strokes? I can't find my manual and don't want to break anything. If I had to guess I would say I disconnect the connector and then just pull that whole assy out and my plugs would be under there. I figure theres a thousand guys on this site that could tell me if I'm right. I just never had the need or desire to look at my plugs until now and with my luck I would be wrong and end up breaking a $100 electrical component

Thanks

Make sure you push the spark plug covers on firmly, they push down real hard to get them on right.

Remove wires first

It may seem obvious, but, before you pull on the
plug caps, unplug the wires first. You can then
yank on the whole cap without worrying about breaking the wires.
The caps are really tough. Just yank on the suckers.
Bring band-aids for when you whack your knuckles.

The plug tool in the kit is a work of art.
That's what I like about the Yamis, attention to detail.

Alas, it would be nice to think they will last the life of the sled. However, these carb'd 4 stokers have high rpm ceilings, manual chokes, and along with relatively rich settings.... a recipe for plug changing fun.

Since we talking about changing plugs the correct way, I'll mention a new tool I recently picked up - the Gapper from Greg Arserio. An excellent tool, very satisfying to use, the perfect gap has arrived. Check out this thread for more info...

http://ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=18280

Yeah I already had to change my original set at 1500 miles due to stupidity on my part and giving it gas while choking it becasuse I was in a hurry. Once they are fouled throw them in the trash. YOu just can't rush perfection I guess..

When I made this plug holder over the summer everone said I would never need plugs, Its a good idea to have a extra set with you.

Attachments

• DCP01683.JPG
    DCP01683.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for your help. I got to my plugs qiute easily. I did notice however that it wasn't too easy to pull the boots out. This is on a year old sled in a 50° garage. I imagine a several year old sled on a 0° trail would be another story. I would recommend to anybody with a 4-stroke to take the time to pull them out and throw a couple of squirts of silicone on each boot. It could mean the difference between the boot coming out or the boot coming apart

Back