• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Super Rat weights concern - check yours

Grimm

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 MXZ 850
Since I bought a new sled, I removed my clutch weights to return them to stock settings. I've put on maybe 2500km since installing the Super Rat weights last year.

I noticed quite a bit of belt dust in the clutch compartment, as well as a buildup of belt rubber on the sheaves. I clean the clutches every summer, so it's not a buildup over the years. I was using a black Heel Clicker primary spring. While these weights pulled like crazy, I don't believe the system was all too efficient due to all the black marks.

Here is my main concern though. When I removed the weights from the primary, I noticed that the pin that the weights swing on have noticeably worn grooves in them. Not a lot, but enough that long term use could cause damage. I feel that this may be caused by the lack of an actual bushing on the Rat weights.

Has anyone else encountered this with their Rat weights? Please post your findings if any.

Grimm said:
Since I bought a new sled, I removed my clutch weights to return them to stock settings. I've put on maybe 2500km since installing the Super Rat weights last year.

I noticed quite a bit of belt dust in the clutch compartment, as well as a buildup of belt rubber on the sheaves. I clean the clutches every summer, so it's not a buildup over the years. I was using a black Heel Clicker primary spring. While these weights pulled like crazy, I don't believe the system was all too efficient due to all the black marks.

Here is my main concern though. When I removed the weights from the primary, I noticed that the pin that the weights swing on have noticeably worn grooves in them. Not a lot, but enough that long term use could cause damage. I feel that this may be caused by the lack of an actual bushing on the Rat weights.

Has anyone else encountered this with their Rat weights? Please post your findings if any.

I have noticed the same thing with my Drag n Flys...The belt dust is terrible, even coming out onto the running board, and the belt marks are very noticable on the primary sheaves

rats

guys have you tried to get in touch with scot at boss,he may be able to help.
i run both weights d-flys with black spring and lots of weight, rats with o-s-o
2,5 ball with stock sec. never had black on clutch some small amount of dust.
i like 2speeds the best for trail riding overall a good weight.
rats are ok but sometimes they act finicky, also on weights it looks like they are loosing there finish.

meeting the late guru a couple seasons back he expressed concern (performance wise) about these and found great results with 2-speeds. I took his word, setup, for all it was worth and it continues to be my clear choice for a versatile system. The ability to fine tune the 2 speeds within less than half a gram makes it all the more enjoyable

yeah, learned alot from him in the two years before he passed, very intelligent and i wouldve liked to see how his xtx would be running after a season of tinkering at a trial. sure was handy having him only a couple hours away and the fact our jobs brought us to each others stomping grounds so it was always a good time to have a chat over coffee.

Back