• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Switching from Apex to Nytro

karlburns

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 apex xtx
2010 vector ltx gt
So I've got 7000 miles of riding on my Attak and I'm thinking its time to find a new ride. I know these motors last forever I'm just thinking I need something different in the garage. I've modified my 07 attak to include an m10 suspension with a 141 1.75" but looking to get something longer at this point.

So I'm looking for something in the mid 150's for track length and can pick up 08 nytros in my area for around 4K but I've never rode one to compare the ride difference. I rode a phazer for a couple days and was not a fan of it at all. I felt it rode a lot like a dirt bike and I'll be honest and say I'm terrible at riding dirt bikes.

I'm also debating on just saving up until next winter and looking at a viper but those are still in the 9-10K for the occasional used one that pops up in the area. I've also looked at going away from Yamaha and looking at some of skidoo's newer lineup because I feel like they are the ones leading the game right now.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. I do 75/25 trail/powder and so even with a longer track I'm still only looking for something around a 1.5 or 1.75" track.

No ones switched from an Apex to a Nytro for input?

Or did I put way too much info in the first post and lost everyone..

I sold my 07 Apex RTX last year and bought a 13' Nytro MTX 153". I honestly love my Nytro although no sled is perfect. I've mainly switched to back country/MTN riding and I feel the Nytro is a far better back country sled than the Apex and I know from experience. I actually rode my Apex 121" in Cooke City, MT, ha it was actually not to bad . Have you looked at shopping out a Nytro XTX 1.75 , that maybe an option ? If not maybe a 153" Nytro and just put a shorter lug track on it ? Shoot me any other questions , I'd gladly give you my take on things

Had one of the first Apex Mtns in AK in 2006. Rode that for 5 years slowly modding it to help with weight, handled ok and that motor is bliss. I switched to a 2008 nitro mtn in 2011 and although I like the rider forward I would miss the power difference. The HP is close on paper(15hp) but the torque and sound is totally different. My nitro is actually a Nypex as it was converted with the apex motor, I turboed it a couple years ago and never looked back. The chassis difference is good and it is a bit lighter and steers a lot better.

I have a vector as well. Is the torque and power on it similar to that? Does the nytro steer better in corners and not have the ski lift issues my attak has?

Also I've read a few threads of people complaining about them trenching and not steering well through the trees. The nickname for my attak is the mole because it doesn't get traction until it finds the bottom.

Those motor are similar but the nitro is a bit stronger on the bottom. They still pull nice you just miss the linear torque feel that the four cylinder has. It does lift into the corners but mine is off trail and has a narrow front end. The older ones(pre 2010 I believe) had trenching issues till the changed the attack angle. There is a lot you can do to them cheap and it improves the ride a lot. They are a good change from the apex/attack and just get some time to get used to it.
(Need a nypex turbo? Mine just sits I bought a snow bike)

It's probably way more then I could afford at the moment but you can pm me some info :) Can anyone confirm if it was 2010 that they changed the angle? Also did they add power steering in 2011 to the nytros like they did with the others?

They did change the front end geometry in 10' and the Nytro's never got power steering , only the Apex's and Vectors have it.

Really no power steering? Huh I didn't know that. Are they a lot easier to steer then the other sleds? Seems odd not to have power steering in this day and age but could also be a weight saver I suppose.

Back