• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taking the Winder out 1st time after pronouncing it fixed!—Strong NO!

Wow, I am having horrid back flashes from when I put a turbo on my RX 1 years ago. It all started with two bad Cometic gaskets in a row and leaks. The gaskets were not made correctly , missing an embossed area and oil and antifreeze mixed and leaked. Cometic sent a new “improved gasket” but I had no confidence so I stacked two Yamaha gaskets. Took care of mixing oil and anti but......Then with Yamaha gaskets it ate anti freeze .... so I thought. Everyone thought it was a cracked head. After having the head off 3 times and inspected and found perfect, I followed the air pocket theory. It wasn’t eating anti freeze it was blowing it at WOT. I jacked that RX 1 ton so her #*$&@ was pointing at the moon to get all the air out. What a PITA. Lost an entire season chasing my tail. I guess my point is I was convinced that head was cracked and took it off three times. Sort of like here, you’d think you need a new motor but With three motors it can’t be the motor. So when you say new motor does that mean a brand new turbo also? Feel your pain and hope this gets resolved for you.

Follow up - it is back at dealer, they have more winders in there one rod knock. They are going to isolate parts of the system and pressurize it until they can find it.

See ya in July with an update!

Whatever sc apex back in service so I don’t care anymore...

Attachments show left core cracked core plug boss. Cracked the second whoever installed the plug. Cat did warranty head but I performed all the labor (do not trust the dealer to do it right) including moving all the valves from old head to new. Included checking valve seal and had to lap 2 valves. Installed new head with ARP head studs.
If you look closely, right at yellow marks, you can see a hairline crack at about 3 o'clock on left side core plug boss that starts at steel plug and runs down the outside of the boss onto the floor of the head.

Attachments

• cracked head1.5.jpg
    cracked head1.5.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 168
  • cracked head5.5.jpg
    cracked head5.5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 169
kinger,

Just thinking via process of elimination for sources of coolant passages to oil passages, statistically I don't think you'd get all those bad engines in a row unless the assembler at the dealer is making the same mistake and consistently forgetting an oring somewhere. Highly unlikely though, stop focusing on the engine for now.

You mentioned the oil cooler was replaced twice, confirm that is true unless you did that yourself. It's true that you might see oil in the coolant because of physics higher pressure leaking to lower pressure however a cooler core micro crack could only really open up when it gets hot and the coolant is under pressure because of the cap that could be more that the oil pressure at some point. Second unlikely but an easy way to debunk that is yank the oil filter and see if it's milky inside or you traces of coolant right there in the filter cavity.

I glossed through this thread and didn't see if you mentioned the turbo was replaced? That can be another source because you have pressurized coolant around the cast center section that has lower oil pressure in it on the drain side back to the crankcase. Absolutely possible that could have a casting defect or porosity that had opened up after X number of heat cycles now allowing coolant to the oil drain back... If it's had the same turbo since new, i'd definitely pull the drain back hose and run it into a pan, run the engine to see if any evidence of coolant in the oil drain back...

What has always stuck in my head for the last 20 years was a local shop that had a turbocharged Pontiac TransAm that burned oil bad. They yanked the engine and rebuilt it, put it back in and it still smoked bad, yanked it again only to find the turbo bearings were bad and it was pushing oil, wasn't even the engine after all. They obviously weren't familiar with turbo's but I took close notes on that.

Last edited:
Makes we wonder if they ever replaced your original head or just kept using it on all the repairs.
Page 1 the head was not only replaced but also tested for pressure& flatness checked, kinger should definetly not play the lottery he hasnt been able to even buy any luck on this nightmare

Page 1 the head was not only replaced but also tested for pressure& flatness checked, kinger should definetly not play the lottery he hasnt been able to even buy any luck on this nightmare
Is it time for a class action lawsuit? How many of these #*$&@ casting are out there? I have one

There's a few... I have been told that Yamaha knows about it, but when it comes to warranty, they are NOT warranting anything with a TUNE. So, just because it has a tune, they are claiming its not a Yamaha issue, which is a false collection of data.

Last edited:
There's a few... I have been told that Yamaha knows about it, but when it comes to warranty, they are NOT warranting anything with a TUNE. So, just because it has a tune, they are claiming its not a Yamaha issue, which is false collection of data.
It's just an excuse on Yamaha's part. In my case, the cracked head had NOTHING to do with the tune. It ate coolant from day 1.

Back