• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Team Primary on Winder secondary mocked up

I started this post in hopes of running the TEAM primary on the winders and preventing the premature roller wear, quiet the clutch rattle and prevent belt blowing we've experience from the Winder primary on the big tunes, but it was apparent to me that they slip really bad down low while performing just normal trail riding. I'm sure with what I know now and using a XS belt on it, there could have been much less slippage, but none the less, the cracks appear from what we call heat checking, which is slippage. And the more abuse put to the TEAM, the quicker they are going to crack. The TEAM has another flaw, the use the wimpy cover to limit the sheave travel rather than let the two sheaves do the limiting. The stock cover can't take that abuse and breaks taking the movable with it in the process when it blows.

I've now fixed my premature roller failure by going to the old RX-1 primary clutch, an Apex clutch has also fixed my buddies rollers issues. He was eating rollers on a daily and weekly basis. Although the old clutches still rattle, its not heard because we both wear ear plugs and don't use stock exhaust anyway, and the rattle is just the spider to tower clearance. One thing we both noticed was increased performance when going to the old style Yamaha clutches. My Winder clutch seemed to bind up and limit performance and make it hard on belt life, not sure if the shaft has grown on it and sticking on the movable bushing, or if it's the tower to button clearance, but I know it binds, and just set it on the shelf. The RX-1 clutch works very well, does not bind and does not eat rollers & belts for breakfast, in fact my buddy is still using the 8JP with success, I'm using the XS825. One thing I know for certain is the old primary lays down more track HP than the winder primary, at least it does in my case and I had to learn it the hard way earlier this season.

IMO, they MIGHT be ok on box stock sleds (including stock gearing and no studs). But there aren't very many like that. On big tunes with lots of studs, I think they're ticking time bombs.

OMG when did this happen? I hope your going to be ok?

IMO, they MIGHT be ok on box stock sleds (including stock gearing and no studs). But there aren't very many like that. On big tunes with lots of studs, I think they're ticking time bombs.
You dont think it was the secondary that blowed here first? i have seen a lot of the boss teams blowing but not the primary.

You dont think it was the secondary that blowed here first? i have seen a lot of the boss teams blowing but not the primary.
I am guessing the secondary!!! I know the guy who blew clutches apart!!! He had he secondary apart a few times doing adjustments with the torsional conversion and chasing top end speeds!!
He had a few blown belts prior to catastrophic failure.

I been paying close attention to my teams clutches since new!! My cat has been tunes since 0km and the team clutches are holding up great!
0 blown belts
0 slippage
No excessive heat
Clutch faces are like new after 1000km!!!

I been paying close attention to my teams clutches since new!! My cat has been tunes since 0km and the team clutches are holding up great!
0 blown belts
0 slippage
No excessive heat
Clutch faces are like new after 1000km!!!

1000kms and the engine isn't even broken in yet, lol. See if it last to 10,000+kms.

My thoughts too. I have 5200 miles = 8,368 kms. First 4500 @ 280 tune, 192 ea. 1.630" studs, 21/38 gearing. Last 700 miles @ 320 tune w 22/37 gear.

1000kms and the engine isn't even broken in yet, lol. See if it last to 10,000+kms.
1000km this year so far running the 270 and 300 header ss tune
Last year I run the sm tune for most of season and pm bundle at the end of season

Last edited:
On your team clutches?
Total miles, yes. Sled is 3 yrs old. My point is only that my Team clutches both looked like new until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed cracks in my movable. I had to replace primary. The spider, bushings, rollers, weights, etc still like new. Just cracks in movable starting way down at center hub radiating outward. At 320, I don't wonder why stuff can't hold up. It's the price to play.
These are a number of Team clutches on tuned TCats. Lowest has 1500 miles, mine (pic 1) has 4200 miles. I check my nephews 2017 TCat (280 tune) with 4200 miles on it this weekend and his is cracked too. Seems like with a big tune and lots of long studs, maybe about 3500-4000 miles might be the limit.

Attachments

• Team clutch1.1.jpg
    Team clutch1.1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Team clutch2.1.jpg
    Team clutch2.1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Team clutch3.1.jpg
    Team clutch3.1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 116
  • cracked Team clutch.jpg
    cracked Team clutch.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 148
  • cracked Team clutch2.jpeg
    cracked Team clutch2.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 112
Total miles, yes. Sled is 3 yrs old. My point is only that my Team clutches both looked like new until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed cracks in my movable. I had to replace primary. The spider, bushings, rollers, weights, etc still like new. Just cracks in movable starting way down at center hub radiating outward. At 320, I don't wonder why stuff can't hold up. It's the price to play.
These are a number of Team clutches on tuned TCats. Lowest has 1500 miles, mine (pic 1) has 4200 miles. I check my nephews 2017 TCat (280 tune) with 4200 miles on it this weekend and his is cracked too. Seems like with a big tune and lots of long studs, maybe about 3500-4000 miles might be the limit.

Did you replace with oem or billet clutch?

The cracks are caused by belt slippage down low. Sounds like Knapp was right about the team primarys not having enough grab down low.
Nice magnifying glass by the way TF!

On the older F1100t cats they had this same issue, you had to shim the spider on tuned sleds to prevent the slipping.

Back