• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Clutch Rabbit Hole

Have any of you used the new ADAPT clutch? I have found it easy to live with and it seems to use lighter weights than a Yamaha clutch. It also does not rattle. The only downside I have come across is that some of the covers have cracked. I replaced my stock cover with an SSI billet cover as insurance. Cat guys I know, that have switched from the old cat clutch find that it adds MPH (at least on 800's).

Merry Christmas to all !
I like it too. However, I want to hear if it rattles at 5000 miles.

I will let you know. I ran it 750 miles last year and it had zero wear on my micrometer. We will see how it does long term. It is a big improvement over the old cat clutch.

Have any of you used the new ADAPT clutch? I have found it easy to live with and it seems to use lighter weights than a Yamaha clutch. It also does not rattle. The only downside I have come across is that some of the covers have cracked. I replaced my stock cover with an SSI billet cover as insurance. Cat guys I know, that have switched from the old cat clutch find that it adds MPH (at least on 800's).

Merry Christmas to all !

Does the cover hit the slpider at full shift I suspect? The sheaves should hit at full shift before the cover hits the spider, this will cause the cover to flex and crack.

The prior Team primary also do this and would crack the cover too. Why cant Cat get this right? Its basic 101 stuff. I will say though that neither clutch rattles or is a loud bucket of bolts.

On the rattle issue what's everyone doing with the rollers pins sliding back and forth? Of course that creates noise and the Cat versions don't have floating roller pins.
On my own machine I drilled where the older models had an allen screw and installed one on each tower.
On some others, I've ground the roller pins shorter so they aren't hammering back and forth.
I'm sure that everyone has noticed that as the miles pile on they wear further and further into the spider casting.

On the rattle issue what's everyone doing with the rollers pins sliding back and forth? Of course that creates noise and the Cat versions don't have floating roller pins.
On my own machine I drilled where the older models had an allen screw and installed one on each tower.
On some others, I've ground the roller pins shorter so they aren't hammering back and forth.
I'm sure that everyone has noticed that as the miles pile on they wear further and further into the spider casting.

I would put o-rings behind them. Helped a wee bit but not the answer. They just rattle and does't seem to hurt anything.

Does the cover hit the slpider at full shift I suspect? The sheaves should hit at full shift before the cover hits the spider, this will cause the cover to flex and crack.

The prior Team primary also do this and would crack the cover too. Why cant Cat get this right? Its basic 101 stuff. I will say though that neither clutch rattles or is a loud bucket of bolts.
Yes, cover hits spider towers before sheaves contact. Imagine the force of impact there if/when belt blows and clutch slams together.
Agree, why the h#&& can't Cat figure out basic physics?!!!

I cant say 5000 miles but I can say at 3500 miles there is no rattle. Everything is still very tight. Good cover is a must though. SSI, bikeman and carey lewis all have heavy duty covers available now. Much tougher and more precise fit where it goes over the esge of the towers.

I cant say 5000 miles but I can say at 3500 miles there is no rattle. Everything is still very tight. Good cover is a must though. SSI, bikeman and carey lewis all have heavy duty covers available now. Much tougher and more precise fit where it goes over the esge of the towers.
In addition to a good fit, the bearing/bushing in the cover is about 2.1mm wider in the SSI cover.

Back