• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The next Yamaha Widetrack? 80FI-based pull-ease!

To keep this going...
I too would like to see something smaller then the Pro. I am currently looking to upgrade from my VK540 III, but the Pro is too big and $$$. I also have a Phazer MTX for wife. It has a great engine (better cold starting than the 540 with 0-w40 in the MTX). We do a lot of riding in no-mans-land on our trap line and ice fishing. The VK is well suited for this, but the design is getting old. I need something that is more well rounded for all conditions and more enjoyable to ride. I've been looking at the MP but it needs the flip-up track, and low range wouldn't hurt. As for the wider track, that is what makes it tipsy and turn poorly. The 16" track is just fine for me, but everyone has different needs. A few little upgrades and options to the MP would make it a good platform to start from.

Don't care to go anywhere fast, I just want it to go anywhere.

To the original post....I don't know how many HP the old VK540s had but I suspect they were in the 70hp range. They did well for me for a lot of heavy hauling years. I sold my last one yesterday. Reluctantly. But it went to a good friend to replace his 22,000 mile Polaris Wide Track. He loves the VK. Who wouldn't?

If you want to go anywhere? Buy a Bravo or an older Tundra II. Anyone who thinks any wide track is a powder sled is mistaken.

24" track? Why? A SkiDoo Super Wide is the least comfortable sled I've ever ridden. It does not display any advantage over my Vikings in pulling ability. Quite the opposite, in fact. It may have more traction on flat hard ground where it isn't important. Who cares? What it has is a terrible skid and piss-poor rider position. What a turd. For my money and my mission Yamaha has a winner in the Professional. On any weekend I can borrow and ride any other brand of wide track, and I have. That's why I've had multiple Yamaha Vikings for the past 15 years. A trouble-free 15 years, too.

Fuel injection means a computer. I can't fix computers in the bush. Carbs work fine. Heated carbs? Better yet. Thank you Yamaha!

I have been critical of my '08VK but after spending the past 6 days logging 1100 miles I must admit that I love this sled. The thing is a beast but for a heavy hauling cruiser I don't think it can be beat. The engine is so smooth and reliable that it makes up for the poor rear suspension. The weight and high center of gravity are the issues. It will do the things I need to do like hauling a heavy cargo sled sometimes weighing 1200 lbs. It will haul trees out of the woods. It gets me into camp every time and I am comfortable on the ITS trails. It just turned
5000 miles so I need to check all the bearings that folks have been talking about.

After 6 seasons with the Vk Pro, I was in the market for a new widetrack and just purchased a 2012 Skandic WT 600 e-tec. I feel that no effort has been made to improve the VK Pro or expand the widetrack lineup. I could'nt go out and buy the exact same machine that I bought 6 years ago. No fun in that.

I am not complaining about my vk as it is a good machine and I would reccomend the Vk Pro to anyone, although it has some minor issues that Yamaha could have easily fixed and made some updates in the last few years. I hope that Yamaha do pay attention to the valuable information that is posted on this site and produce a machine that will get the competitions heads spinning. I don't care about what people say about market segment, there are alot of wide track users out there and it seems to be growing.

I agree with ahamay, yamaha has not made any attempt in improving the Vk pro's con's. The utility sled market is thriving and Yamaha has fallen by the way side while BRP leads the market in sales ,technology and also several utility models to choose from. I cannot see myself buying another VK pro as my next purchase, however I do love the power and reliability of the 1000, but being left behind while your buddy on his new Skandic does circles around you in the deep stuff has finally swayed my decision. The Vk does have its pro's like stump pulling power, but its floataion in deep snow sucks, those who think different should try a new Brp. I wish Yamaha would listen!!!!!!!!

Yamaha leads the work sled class for guys who want sleds that can pull big loads and do it with amazing reliability and comfort. As for playing in powder? Wrong sled. Personally I have a play sled, a SkiDoo, for that mission. When I need to haul 300 gallons of fuel down the river I want exactly what my Professional provides. If it isn't the right sled for you? Don't blame Yamaha. It's the best sled going for my work needs, hands down.

I guess I should purchase a play sled to break trails to my cabin, hunting grounds, and wood path, then return home to get the PRO to haul it all out. I thought the new vk would have been comparable to the old vk in deep snow,however that was a big disappointment.

Maybe the SkiDoo XU platform is what you need. They're good sleds. Not as HD as the Pro, but much better than the Pro for all-around riding and still pretty capable for pulling decent loads. I have several friends that have them. I prefer what the Pro offers. Different strokes for different folks.

I had Nytros for play toys and hated them. Switched to SkiDoos. Brand loyalty never made sense to me. Buy the machine that suits you best.

riley.l said:
I guess I should purchase a play sled to break trails to my cabin, hunting grounds, and wood path, then return home to get the PRO to haul it all out. I thought the new vk would have been comparable to the old vk in deep snow,however that was a big disappointment.
I have owned two vk pros with over 20,000 km seat time and last year i swithched to a exp 1200 and I have to say this sled is so much more fun to drive It does everything the pro could do and rides and handles so much better. I will venture out to places that I wouldn't attempt with the pro.
Not bashing the pro cause it was a pretty good sled , but like any other sled it had it share of problems and if yamaha would have done something about the handling and ride I would have surely looked to buy another. If you can afford to have 2 sleds, one for play and one for work then the vk pro would be a good choice. Off trail this sled is a lot of work.

I am not brand loyal, but I know what I like and what I don't.

Back