• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle body boost leaks

Weird can't find them on either site.
Maybe I will just grind down the stock ones

Weird can't find them on either site.
Maybe I will just grind down the stock ones

Put them in a drill after you scribe a line on them and grind them down in half to .125" using a 4" hand grinder or a bench grinder. Takes no time at all.

Preparing to change clamp spacers and found this hole hissing like a cobra during pressure test
Nothing even close to this hose to damage it.

Attachments

• 20211216_231121.jpg
    20211216_231121.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 152
Preparing to change clamp spacers and found this hole hissing like a cobra during pressure test

Thats not good! That leak right there could lean the A/F a good amount while under boost. Regulator wouldn't see the full pressure to increase the fuel pressure at a 1:1 ratio.

looks like the angle caused the barb to wear through, i would suggest a longer chunk of tubing to replace that with to take out the sharp bends

Thats not good! That leak right there could lean the A/F a good amount while under boost. Regulator wouldn't see the full pressure to increase the fuel pressure at a 1:1 ratio.
Any thoughts on what kind of hose I should go with to replace it? I'm not sure if basic vacuum style hose would hold up.
Last year riding it felt like it was down on power and fairly easy to get knock light. I actually couldn't really feel much HP difference between SM tunes bundle like I could before. Naturally I figured it was poor quality fuel and started carrying octane booster which helped the knock some but not the HP. It always starts and runs fine, it just doesn't feel like it has the steam it use to. I'm glad I decided to do a pressure test!

Good find!!
Everyone should do a leak test every season intake and exhaust.imo
Especially the tuned guys..

It costed me 20$ in part at the hardware store. It's a very simple test to do to ensure the all the power is where it should and the engine it working the way it should

Where did you hook up to do leak test?

Good find!!
Everyone should do a leak test every season intake and exhaust.imo
Especially the tuned guys..

It costed me 20$ in part at the hardware store. It's a very simple test to do to ensure the all the power is where it should and the engine it working the way it should

Where did you hook up to do leak test?
The hose right after the turbo. I had to rotate the engine slightly to reduce air coming out the exhaust. I didn't have time to check for more leaks last night, I mainly wanted to see if my tester worked good and found the bad hose right away.

Any thoughts on what kind of hose I should go with to replace it? I'm not sure if basic vacuum style hose would hold up.
Last year riding it felt like it was down on power and fairly easy to get knock light. I actually couldn't really feel much HP difference between SM tunes bundle like I could before. Naturally I figured it was poor quality fuel and started carrying octane booster which helped the knock some but not the HP. It always starts and runs fine, it just doesn't feel like it has the steam it use to. I'm glad I decided to do a pressure test!

Any good quality hose that fits the nipples. And be sure to clamp it well. I've been using those ratcheting nylon hose clamps that lock to the hose on these areas. Like these ref=sr_1_37

Lean A/F would not make good power along with timing being pulled prior to dash flash too. Hopeful that your engine is still good because if the regulator isn't seeing the boost the engine is seeing, A/F is going to be lean to the tune of about 1 full point in about 3-4 lbs of fuel pressure. Once you get this leak fixed (and all the leaks) the power should come back. If it doesn't, I'd do a leak down on the engine to check for ring seal and engine health.

How important is this clamp mod if I've never seen a knock light, and my sled consistently runs 16.8lbs on Max Spool 16?

How important is this clamp mod if I've never seen a knock light, and my sled consistently runs 16.8lbs on Max Spool 16?
Its no clamp mod.. He found a major leak while doing a leak test.. Mike is recommending a clamp he likes to use on the hose that has a hole in it.
Boost leak test and clamps are basic maintenance. Sounds like your sled is running good according to your numbers BUT these tests should be done every year.

Its no clamp mod.. He found a major leak while doing a leak test.. Mike is recommending a clamp he likes to use on the hose that has a hole in it.
Boost leak test and clamps are basic maintenance. Sounds like your sled is running good according to your numbers BUT these tests should be done every year.

I was refering to shaving the spacers down on the TB clamps. I should have been more specific.

I was refering to shaving the spacers down on the TB clamps. I should have been more specific.
Got it.. This clamp/spacer mod is very important IMO.. Especially sleds with some miles on them.. The rubber and clamps heat cycle and leak under high boost.. Any sled should do this IMO. I suppose their are some sleds that don't leak in this area under lower boost but odds are they do

Back