• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

timing chain tensioner?

up.mi.man

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx se
Does the 07 rage have the updated timing chain tensioner.
Thanks Dale

05, 06 and 07 do not have the updated chain tensioner on the 3 cylinder motors.

How would you know if you have the updated one with out taking it apart. Picked up a used 06 nytro i would hate for something to happen

The old tensioner will have an orange paint dot on the base. The new ones have a blue dot. The tensioner is normally installed with the dot on the inside of the tensioner base so it can be difficult to see. A small mirror helps. Check out my post it has everything you need: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=90826

You can check with a Yamaha dealer by giving him the sled serial number to see if the tensioner was ever changed by a Yamaha dealer. It's just a good starting point.

Thanks I will contact the dealer tomorrow.
Thanks Dale

radianguy said:
was this a recall from Yamaha?

Nope. Another case of they know, but choose to ignore the problem.

I think there may be a TSB on it, so when one $hits the bed, Yamaha will cover the labor, but usually not the part.

It was a bulletin from Yamaha to their dealers. My dealer told me about it and then replaced mine under warranty. Automatically, I will buy my next sled from them as they have treated me very well on some other issues like T.O.R.S.

do you have to update just the tensioner or every thing. Motor is out of the sled right now. I talked to the dealer today and they had no clue what i was talking about.

Well with the engine out, it couldn't be any easier to see the orange dot ( out of date tensioner ) or the blue dot ( updated tensioner ). If the old one, save yourself some grief and change it now. Check "grizztracks" post and link, he has everything on it. By the way, thanks grizztracks, your post gave me the know how to change my own tensioner, thanks again.

it is the old one not the updated one do i need to update just the tensioner or do i need to get a different chain.

Oil line came off She kept driving it even though the engine light came on and took out the entire motor :o| i got a new used motor with 1964 miles on it from one of the guys on here but it doesnt have the updated tensioner. Oh and by the way i just noticed the sticky on the top of the page.lol
Thanks Dale

Back