• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To use or not to use??

West Charleston Vermont (Canadian bordor)
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RS Vector
Hello members hope all is well, so I've done a lot of research and a lot of reading up on the fuel we use here in America, witch as we all know contains ETHANOL witch is really just another form of Alcohol with a 10% variation used in most combustible engines. for those of you not familiar with ETHANOL, it can and will reek havoc on in your fuel system, Carburetors (and there accelerator pumps) Gelling of fuel(not much on the diesel) it hurts fuel atomization in the combustion process, and interferes with H20 phase separation, just to name a few things.
I use STAR TRON ENZYME fuel treatment and have for years, I swear by this stuff because its a great product. Again this my opinion!! This is also great for cleaning your mains out your carbs, helps keep H20 separation to a bare minimum.
Question is do any of you guys use this?? with all the moisture in fuel, not to mention storing them sleds in the off season, or do some of you guys use Iso HEET (fuel line antifreeze ISOPRPYL ALCOHOL) my manual for the my 05 Vector indicates that this should not be used in this engine.

Some feedback would be great, might be new to the 4 stroke Yamaha sleds but I've seen my fare share crippled 2 strokes over the 40 plus years I've been in this sport, remember its not always the Engine folks, what fuel you put in is the performance you'll get in return..

peace to all Chris

I am fortunate to live and ride in a region where no-ethanol gas is readily available. I mix in Marine Stabil for storage. I've heard of people storing their sleds with aviation fuel.

I am fortunate to live and ride in a region where no-ethanol gas is readily available. I mix in Marine Stabil for storage. I've heard of people storing their sleds with aviation fuel.
You are lucky I mean we do have it up here at a couple of places, and there not close by any means. Stabil is great for storage and I even keep it on hand for a back up, and use it in my Generator. Aviation fuel is great to store just about anything with because of its Molecular structure, either that or Kerosene witch is also used for jet fuel, because it does not pre detonate, and does not allow moisture to form, I've used it to fog carbs B4 so..

If you are having fuel turnover every 3-4 months or less, then fuel with ethanol should not be a problem. From everything that I have found and read, is that fuel with 10% ethanol cannot be properly stabalized, contrary to what all these products claim( great marketing budgets ). So at the end of season, either siphon all the remaining fuel from your tank or leave as little as possible in it, install fuel shut off valves and run your sled to empty the fuel bowls. Then, a tank of fresh gas to start the season. Or, siphon out the ethanol gas, a tank of premium 91 octane which usually has no ethanol, check with your gas station, then stabalize this fuel, as it can be properly stabalized. Then start and run your sled every 3-4 weeks so no problems when the season starts again.

I run HEAT in my 05 vector all the time split a bottle 2 a couple tanks I drain tankeverysummer feed that to the lawn mower . Pull and clean carbs every couple seasons no problems in 8k miles

Have a bit over 26,000 miles on my Vector. Runs great, have never cleaned the carbs. Just very careful with summer storage. It really helps if you can run it every few weeks with stabalized premium gas during the off season. That will eliminate the issues most people have when it comes time for winter again.

Hello members hope all is well, so I've done a lot of research and a lot of reading up on the fuel we use here in America, witch as we all know contains ETHANOL witch is really just another form of Alcohol with a 10% variation used in most combustible engines. for those of you not familiar with ETHANOL, it can and will reek havoc on in your fuel system, Carburetors (and there accelerator pumps) Gelling of fuel(not much on the diesel) it hurts fuel atomization in the combustion process, and interferes with H20 phase separation, just to name a few things.
I use STAR TRON ENZYME fuel treatment and have for years, I swear by this stuff because its a great product. Again this my opinion!! This is also great for cleaning your mains out your carbs, helps keep H20 separation to a bare minimum.
Question is do any of you guys use this?? with all the moisture in fuel, not to mention storing them sleds in the off season, or do some of you guys use Iso HEET (fuel line antifreeze ISOPRPYL ALCOHOL) my manual for the my 05 Vector indicates that this should not be used in this engine.

Some feedback would be great, might be new to the 4 stroke Yamaha sleds but I've seen my fare share crippled 2 strokes over the 40 plus years I've been in this sport, remember its not always the Engine folks, what fuel you put in is the performance you'll get in return..

peace to all Chris

I use Star Tron.

If you are having fuel turnover every 3-4 months or less, then fuel with ethanol should not be a problem. From everything that I have found and read, is that fuel with 10% ethanol cannot be properly stabalized, contrary to what all these products claim( great marketing budgets ). So at the end of season, either siphon all the remaining fuel from your tank or leave as little as possible in it, install fuel shut off valves and run your sled to empty the fuel bowls. Then, a tank of fresh gas to start the season. Or, siphon out the ethanol gas, a tank of premium 91 octane which usually has no ethanol, check with your gas station, then stabalize this fuel, as it can be properly stabalized. Then start and run your sled every 3-4 weeks so no problems when the season starts again.
Thrasher I do agree with your response 100% but there is another issue at hand here as well, storage is one thing but internal combustion parts are another especially in older Engines
I run HEAT in my 05 vector all the time split a bottle 2 a couple tanks I drain tankeverysummer feed that to the lawn mower . Pull and clean carbs every couple seasons no problems in 8k miles
That's not a bad thing at all I put that in my spare sled and it seems to do well, have you had any problems at all after using that in your fuel performance issue and such??

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-28_16-16-56.png
    upload_2017-2-28_16-16-56.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 65
Have a bit over 26,000 miles on my Vector. Runs great, have never cleaned the carbs. Just very careful with summer storage. It really helps if you can run it every few weeks with stabalized premium gas during the off season. That will eliminate the issues most people have when it comes time for winter again.
I do agree and then again some folks just fog em and put em to sleep for the off season, I think that's a great point to start them every so often, but remember I've been messing with 2 strokes for so many years and having to worry about moisture in and on the crank journals and low end bearings, then making sure that cylinder walls are well oiled.

Back