• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tracks for venture multi purpose

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1997 vmax 600 sx, 99 venture 600, 2004 vk 540, 2006 Yamaha vk pro, 2009 venture multi purpose and 2006 venture 500 xl current ride 15 rs viking pro
Have a 09 venture multi purpose with the all season rip saw still installed. Looking to go more aggressive, two choices are 1.5 crossover or the 1.75 backcountry. My riding usually involves off trail riding, breaking trails through the timber and also hauling a sleigh full of gear set for the cabin on unbroken trails. Ripsaw is fine for hard pack or trail riding, but it trenches like crazy in deep loose snow, has to go! Any input regard these two tracks greatly appreciated. cheers!

I have the Crossover and it's a great track on and off trail. Since you're looking to go more off-trail, then the Backcountry would be a great choice. The MP would have no trouble turning either of these tracks.

More than 1.75 would be more suited for mountain riding and would probably be a bear to turn at slow speeds. And there have been some MP's with 2" and extended rails/tracks so no issues turning big tracks.

On another note, I didn't notice a difference in flotation going from 16" to a 15" wide track. The added traction more than makes up for it.

I have the Crossover and it's a great track on and off trail. Since you're looking to go more off-trail, then the Backcountry would be a great choice. The MP would have no trouble turning either of these tracks.

More than 1.75 would be more suited for mountain riding and would probably be a bear to turn at slow speeds. And there have been some MP's with 2" and extended rails/tracks so no issues turning big tracks.

On another note, I didn't notice a difference in flotation going from 16" to a 15" wide track. The added traction more than makes up for it.

Hi everyone, sorry if I hijack your post but I'm also in to changing track as well. Going for the 1.75 backcountry and I just wonder if I have to take the driveshaft out or if I can sneak the track through on the side? And if I need to get the driveshaft down, is it complicated to get the chain case apart? Anyone with experience? I have change a track earlier on a v-max from 1994, that's about my mechanic experience. Then I could just slip the track thru on the side of the axel. Sorry for my bad English, its not my first spoken language :) /

You have to disassemble the chain case, basically take the top and bottom gears along with the chain out. and on the driven clutch side the bearing support and don't forget the locking collar up inside the tunnel that's on the dummy bearing. Then remove drive axle then the track! Perhaps moose man can comment on the reverse mechanism whether it has to be removed or not ! cheers!

Nope, reverse can stay in place, which is basically part of the upper jack shaft.

And your English was fine ;)!. Welcome to TY.

Thank you every one for the help. I found a used 144 15 1,75 in excellent condition! Got a pair of DuPoint hyfax also but I was thinking of extroverts. Do I need that for 1,75 lug height?
Picture from last January in northern Sweden.

Attachments

• IMG_7964.PNG
    IMG_7964.PNG
    183.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
I don't think it needs the extroverts unless you run the track extremely loose.

I don't think so either since it's only 80hp. But it would be interesting to hear from anyone with experience on that lug hight. I've got so much good tips and tricks from this forum and I'm really thankful for that!!

Somebody else on here had put a 2" track without any issues.

It depends how hard you accelerate and how loose you run your track. Installed a 1.5 track on my 06 vk pro experienced some ratcheting, mostly due the rear flip in the skid which caused the track to loosen up when I backed up in deep snow, so I installed extroverts cured everything and allowed me to run the track much more loose. Once you install your 1.75 and get some time on the snow, let us all know the difference it made in deep snow and on the trail. Been seriously looking to upgrade to this track on my multi, first hand opinions make the difference! cheers!

Got the new 1.75 15 back country on now. It's a blast on the trail and of course better in the deep but I think the machine trenches too mutch. I will try to adjust the limiter strap, witch is in longes posistion now. Read that if you go up one or two holes you will change the angel of attack and maybe get it to trench less. Has any one tried this??

I also geared down one tooth on the smallest (17) and that togheter with the new track and rock hard trails was overheating the engine in crawling slow speed :(

If you tighten up your limiter strap, it will put more pressure on your skis thus make it steer better. On the other hand it will make the sled nose heavy in the deep stuff that's where you want the sled to sit more tail heavy to keep the nose up thus making it float! Deeper lug tracks will move more snow very quickly but, it gives you more forward traction in the deep snow! Good to hear this as I'm considering the swap, just not sure whether it will be the 1.5 crossover or the backcountry 1.75. Also there is the transfer rods in the rear skid, opening the gap allows the sled to transfer and lift the skis and the opposite by closing the gap, hope this helps! cheers!

Back