• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tune differences

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
So I'm looking at td and hurricane for tune packages. Planning on running stock muffler at the moment but may pick up a 2.5, not sure on the drone with some of the threads I've read.

I can only get 91 octane and that's what I plan on.
Anyways, from what I understand there is stock muffler, performance muffler and super spool with horsepower packages of 225, 250, and 270hp. Super spool is essentially instant boost and probably not something I want withy ripsaw 1 and loose snow.

So for the stock and performance muffler how do the tunes differ between the typical three horsepower levels given

-Does the entire curve get roasted post 5000rpm for each?
-Does boost come on higher at faster speeds
-How does performance mufflers change the power band? Do they raise it across the entire band?
-For the bundle/jukebox's can you easily switch to a performance muffler from a stock muffler if you have both packed (I know hurricane is an upgrade if you start with Stock Muffler)
-How does the tune know how to run with say the super quiet/modified stock exhaust compared to a straight pipe.

Thanks in advance
I do know there are some supporting mods requires for the 240 and 270 tunes

Cheapest route IMO is TD Powertrail tune. The only auxillary hardware needed is set of Dalton weights, runs on 87, but preferably 91 if available.

Powertrail Tune/stock muffler becomes Eco trail 250hp. Slap on SQ super quiet muffler and it becomes Powertrail 275hp. Same tune, just change muffler. Biggest bang for the buck here.

Runnability is linear like stock, but more power everywhere. My Buddy has over 18k miles with that tune, it's been flawless, and he's put a hurtin on many sleds.

As the tunes get bigger, more supporting hardware needed:. Fuel pump, BOV, map sensor, wideband, fuel pressure regulator, clutching, belt issues, etc. Before long, you realize.............you've entered the jungle!

If you are on a tighter budget, Powertrail with the stock muffler, or the Hurricane 240 stock muffler tune can both be run with just the XS825 belt and the flash in most cases.

IMO opinion there is a big real world difference between stock muffler tunes and mod muffler tunes rated for the same HP. Might be the difference between a quick dyno run vs real world conditions, but a 2.5" muffler tune is way faster in the real world.

Cheapest route IMO is TD Powertrail tune. The only auxillary hardware needed is set of Dalton weights, runs on 87, but preferably 91 if available.

Powertrail Tune/stock muffler becomes Eco trail 250hp. Slap on SQ super quiet muffler and it becomes Powertrail 275hp. Same tune, just change muffler. Biggest bang for the buck here.

Runnability is linear like stock, but more power everywhere. My Buddy has over 18k miles with that tune, it's been flawless, and he's put a hurtin on many sleds.

As the tunes get bigger, more supporting hardware needed:. Fuel pump, BOV, map sensor, wideband, fuel pressure regulator, clutching, belt issues, etc. Before long, you realize.............you've entered the jungle!
"same tune, just change muffler'.
Are you sure. I have tune bundles for both stock muffler and performance muffler.
When I change mufflers, I use my flasher to switch to the different tunes for given muffler choice.

"same tune, just change muffler'.
Are you sure. I have tune bundles for both stock muffler and performance muffler.
When I change mufflers, I use my flasher to switch to the different tunes for given muffler choice.

Do you have a CAI? This will require a different tune.

To be safe, call TD to verify, perhaps things have changed.

Running under hood CAI all the time.
But I do download different maps with my flasher when switching between mufflers.

With any of the tunes I would recommend installing a larger intercooler.
Keeping the air cooler going into the engine helps to provide all the power the tune is designed for.
When intake temps run higher the computer starts to pull back as a safety. Well worth it in my opinion.

You sound like you are concerned about drone with the aftermarket muffler. I have a TD Power Trail with CAI and their 3" Super Quiet muffler. I couldn't be happier. Throatier than the stock muffler but not exceptionally loud and I don't ever notice any drone.

I run Powertrail stock muffler. 3 seasons on it with modified stock clutch weights and a XS belt. No octane worries. Pulls about 15.2 to 15.7 psi. Great smooth stock like trail manners and easily beats a stocker In every way.

IMO opinion there is a big real world difference between stock muffler tunes and mod muffler tunes rated for the same HP. Might be the difference between a quick dyno run vs real world conditions, but a 2.5" muffler tune is way faster in the real world.
Like the difference between a 2.5 and 3 inch muffler! HP
You’ll get a different opinion from everyone but honestly all the tunes work and are pretty safe.

Last edited:
So I'm looking at td and hurricane for tune packages. Planning on running stock muffler at the moment but may pick up a 2.5, not sure on the drone with some of the threads I've read.

I can only get 91 octane and that's what I plan on.
Anyways, from what I understand there is stock muffler, performance muffler and super spool with horsepower packages of 225, 250, and 270hp. Super spool is essentially instant boost and probably not something I want withy ripsaw 1 and loose snow.

So for the stock and performance muffler how do the tunes differ between the typical three horsepower levels given

-Does the entire curve get roasted post 5000rpm for each?
-Does boost come on higher at faster speeds
-How does performance mufflers change the power band? Do they raise it across the entire band?
-For the bundle/jukebox's can you easily switch to a performance muffler from a stock muffler if you have both packed (I know hurricane is an upgrade if you start with Stock Muffler)
-How does the tune know how to run with say the super quiet/modified stock exhaust compared to a straight pipe.

Thanks in advance
I do know there are some supporting mods requires for the 240 and 270 tunes
I have had the hurricane stock muffler tune last year. This year, I change the performance tune. A little louder than stock at idle. Not much difference of sound in trail speed. The big difference is the way it runs. Better on fuel. Pulls harder right from the dig. over stock muffler. It's a good 2 sleds faster out of the whole. Top end is better. I run 270hp and its a complete blast and runs on 91.

Back