• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tuner ski consensus on 16 xtx le turbo? dump them or keep them

mshabaz

Expert
reading a lot about the tuner ski, have had apex's with usi triple threats and loved them. they would allow the apex to go off trail and handle beautiful on the trail. this will be my first viper and it comes with the tuners on it. i am an aggressive rider that likes on and off trail (hence the new 141" track :) do i try these first with diff carbides of course? or just ditch them and use a different ski

Well there's plenty of people here that liked them. Riding style and conditions come into play. I for one hated them. I had 6 inch inner and 4 inch outer installed before I took the sled home. Worked great on hard pack trails horrible everywhere else imo. Put a set of curves on and couldn't be happier

Staggs65,
In what way did the curves out-perform the tuners. Just in open field clowning around? or in trail performance - cornering, less push etc.
Would be interested to hear your experience with both.
Thanks
MS

In 2015 the xtx le came with mountain skis. Did they charge to tuners for 2016 xtx le? If so that's a step backwards

Not so! wen AI bought my 2015 XTXT LE it came with a mountain seat and tuner skis. I thought that was odd but did not want mountain skis anyhow. I did not get a chance to really beat on it because it was late in the season and the first time out it was -25 and it would not start till later in the day:o| so I rode the big dog till late in the afternoon. Then I rode the 15 and was impressed with the handling and the shocks. the 14 had been through 3 different sets of skis and 3 shock packages till I was happy. I have the stock carbides both on the right ski and the square bars on the left. there is a push but not as bad as my 14 had and I think a more aggressive carbide on both skis will help with that.

That's odd because when I bought my 2015 XTX le it came factory with mtx mountain skis , mtx vertical steering and the mountain bullet seat. A buddy of mine as the same sled he got the correct skis. Maybe your dealer switched them or AC ran out of skis and just through turners would be ok??

It is odd, but I still like them and if I go anywhere out west this year I have a set of the Monster 12" wide simmons gen II skis to throw on it. I doo like the seat better than the 14 trail seat and Ya know I never paid any attention to the steering post but my 14 I had to install an 8" riser off of an old attack I had to get the bars up and back to where I would ride all day comfortably but the limited miles I got on it last spring it felt fine.

Ulmer has it now putting the turbo in it from my 14 so I cannot check the post but I will when I get it back.

Staggs65,
In what way did the curves out-perform the tuners. Just in open field clowning around? or in trail performance - cornering, less push etc.
Would be interested to hear your experience with both.
Thanks
MS
The tuners worked great on hard packed trails. No darting, railed the corners. But when the trails softened up they pushed too much in the corners for me. Again maybe because my riding style. The curves railed the corners in soft snow like the tuners do on hard snow and they float better.

The tuners worked great on hard packed trails. No darting, railed the corners. But when the trails softened up they pushed too much in the corners for me. Again maybe because my riding style. The curves railed the corners in soft snow like the tuners do on hard snow and they float better.
Stagg are you running an XTX?

I was not impressed by the Tuners. I did switch out the 6" Yamaha carbides on the inside with a set of Shapers, and that made a noticeable difference, but the ski still "darted" and "pushed" in the corner when ridden hard. I planned on changing to a set of Curves this year, but based upon the reviews I read, I changed my mind, and I have a brand new pair of white Mohawks with 8"Bergstrom triple points, shims and ski-savers, sitting on my workbench. They are going on the sled this weekend; unfortunately, it will be a while before I can report back on how they work on snow!

Never been very impressed with any dual runner ski , SLP powder pro's work very good on this sled and so does the Mohawk ski .. Float great off trail and handle great on trail in all condition ,they are very easy to turn as well !
I would highly recommend them , at lest give them a try !

Back