• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Protection From Luggage

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Has anyone for a pad or cover to stop tunnel luggage from wearing into the paint?
I think AC has one, but looking for something different.

Has anyone for a pad or cover to stop tunnel luggage from wearing into the paint?
I think AC has one, but looking for something different.

I have just used Duct or Gorilla tape beneath the bags at the rub points and take it off when the bags come off. Have not seen permanent pads of any kind.

Ya I haven’t seen anything
By buddies thundercat has something almost like hydo turf on it
Maybe I’ll put vinyl wrap on it

I was thinking of putting some clear film on my tunnel to help protect it from the tunnel bag. Has anyone had any luck with installing the clear film over the rivets in the tunnel? I would think it would be difficult to install but still looking at giving it a shot.

I am running a kimpex connect rail system which lifts the luggage off of the tunnel by quite a bit but I thought about how I would protect the tunnel if I just went with the linq system or the kimpex without the rails. I would use a piece of paper to create a template, rubbing a pencil over where the rivets are to create a hole template. Then use a punch to make the actual holes and just leave the rivets exposed. Then put a larger second layer over the first but without the holes, the larger size will allow the second layer to have its own separate adhesion and slightly less bubble going over the rivets.. If you are thinking PPF (paint protective film) get one of the self healing ones like the 3M or XPEL. They clean up with a short application of heat. I put 3M over the saddle bags on my motorcycle as my wife would constantly scuff the bags with a boot getting on. The 3M protected the bags perfectly for years before I sold the bike and the buyer didn't even realize it had a PPF coating until I pointed it out to him.

Where did you end up getting your film? The tunnel is roughly 15" wide and I am having a hard time locating some film.

You can buy it off Amazon up to 24” wide. I picked some up at a local detailer / window tint shop.

You can buy it off Amazon up to 24” wide. I picked some up at a local detailer / window tint shop.
That would work, I can’t seem to locate it on Amazon. I found some that says for headlights but people were saying it was completely clear. I’ll have to search a bit more and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Back