• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vacuum forming.

207nytro

Pro
Recently built (well today) a 2 by 2 foot vacuum former. I used about 20 bucks of wood and hardware to make it. I'm looking to use this to make extra sets of handguards and windshields for cheap. (I can use a plastic called styrene that i can get and make about 20 sets of handgaurds for 20 dollars. ) Is anyone on here in the vacuum forming business or done it before? the only problem i am having is what thickness to order for the plastic. I found online that snostuff sells a make your own windshield kit that uses 0.065 thick lexan. I figured since i would only be making small windshields and handgaurds maybe i could get away with a 0.04 thick sheet of styrene. If anyone is in the plastic business, vacuum forming business, etc. i could use some help on this before i order like 20 sqft of plastic and find it is too flexy for parts. Thanks.

What are you using for a heat source? Most plastics are made using injection forming, which is a totally different process. If you're wanting to get into vacuum forming, a composite material (fiberglass or carbon fiber) would be the way to go.
There are tons of forums, YouTube videos, and reference materials out there, but I'd be happy to help if you need it. We do a lot of vacuum forming of carbon fiber, and have a few great sources for info and products, but there's no substitute for practice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5KxUm0Pf4 This is what i plan on doing. Through some research i found that a company called sporttech does the same thing to form their handgaurds. I have sent them a message about thicknesses of plastic they use.
For a heat source i have access to a heat gun that can heat up to 800 degrees and should be more than enough for the plastic i plan on using. The plastic (styrene) people say heats evenly and has a low temperature point for forming so the heat gun should work fine.
So far i am thinking the 0.04 thick plastic should be more than enough for a small windshield for the nytro. If it isn't thick enough for handgaurds or a windshield for my crossfire i think i will simply buy a thicker sheet.

the plastic i ordered will most likely be used for windshields this first time around. I have a buddy willing to buy one if mine work out too. As far as plastic thickness most aftermarket windshields i saw and from just remembering what the handgaurds thickness is i believe the stock are around 1/16 of an inch. The plastic will be thinner than stock windshield plastic but the windshields will only be a couple inches tall. It was nearly twice as much for the 1/16 so i went with the 1/25.
If neither windshield or handgaurds are thick enough with the plastic I am going to just make some custom drawer inserts for my toolbox and make the ratchets and sockets fit in snug.

Back