• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector turns over but won't start

SXRPILOT

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 50th Anniversary Sidewinder LTX
Working on an 06 Vector for a friend. It turns over, there's fresh fuel, and lots of spark (almost too much). Compression is good (no valves open) . When it catches a bit it sounds awful. Thinking it may be a short, or ground, or ecu or crank sensor. Any other suggestions or things to look at would be appreciated. Been at it for a while and getting nowhere. It's got 18000 miles on it.

Did it quit while riding or has it been sitting and now you're trying to start it for the first time after an extended period not being ran.

He's been riding it this season, parked it one night and it wouldn't start the next morning

Are the plugs wet? (Is it.getting.fuel?)

You might want to check the cam/ crank timing which involves removing the valve cover to accces the timing marks on the cams. These engines had a possibity of a cam chain tensioner failure which allows them to jump time. Have to tried using a spray bottle with gas in it to mist fuel into the carb openings. It could be a fuel pump issue (check vacuum lines). If you have spark then the ECU and ignition timing pickup coil on the stator is working (There is no external crank sensor like on FI engines)

New spark plugs are always a good starting point.

Tried fuel in carbs and had them cleaned, vacuum lines are good, will have to check that timing, I'll let you know, thanks

You might want to check the cam/ crank timing which involves removing the valve cover to accces the timing marks on the cams. These engines had a possibity of a cam chain tensioner failure which allows them to jump time. Have to tried using a spray bottle with gas in it to mist fuel into the carb openings. It could be a fuel pump issue (check vacuum lines). If you have spark then the ECU and ignition timing pickup coil on the stator is working (There is no external crank sensor like on FI engines)

New spark plugs are always a good starting point.

I was going to suggest cam chain tensioner (CCT) but the OP said the sled was shut down OK at night then wouldn't start the next morning. Fluke'ish failure of CCT maybe?

Cold starts are hard on engines and an opportune time for a timing failure. I'm not sure if this is what happened but it sounds like something failed during the cold start process. I've also seen the Woodruff key on the crank shear on a Vector causing an ignition timing issue but that was after a hard kickback during a start attempt. I wouldn't hesitate trying a new set of plugs before digging to deep.

Cold starts are hard on engines and an opportune time for a timing failure. I'm not sure if this is what happened but it sounds like something failed during the cold start process. I've also seen the Woodruff key on the crank shear on a Vector causing an ignition timing issue but that was after a hard kickback during a start attempt. I wouldn't hesitate trying a new set of plugs before digging to deep.

Makes sense. Thanks for the education Sir! :)

Working on an 06 Vector for a friend. It turns over, there's fresh fuel, and lots of spark (almost too much). Compression is good (no valves open) . When it catches a bit it sounds awful. Thinking it may be a short, or ground, or ecu or crank sensor. Any other suggestions or things to look at would be appreciated. Been at it for a while and getting nowhere. It's got 18000 miles on it.

Had the same problem with my 06 Vector. Installed the new solid state fuel pump relay & that was the problem.

Back