• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Battery Life

First new battery in the 14 Viper tomorrow, this one was a good one. Bought a Yuasa for the Nytro 2 years ago junk already.

2018 Viper, 2400 miles still stock battery. Always have it on a Otimate battery tender when sleds aren't in use. My family had one on a 2006 Vector since new, battery was still original when we sold it this past winter with 9000 miles... I swear by those battery tenders.

I have mixed feelings about tenders. I kept my 4-wheelers on them a couple of summers ago, and by the end of the season, a couple of the batteries which had been brand new at the start of the season would not start the bikes. The tenders showed green, but the batteries were close to flat. In fairness, I think that those two four wheelers had issues bleeding juice even with the kill switch off, so probably the tenders were working pretty hard. I have never kept battery tenders on my sleds over the summer, and I have never had a problem with the batteries in the fall. I generally find myself replacing the batteries at 5 years, and honestly, I wouldn't trust them any longer than that, even if I had kept them on a tender.

Original battery on 15 viper still going strong, never had it on a battery tender but I fire up my sled every week and let it idlw till temp hits 150°

2016 VIPER, first battery from new only lasted 1 year and then started throwing codes and dying out trying to start. Swapped in a new one and bought a Battery Tender and keep it on that all summer. No issues since. I too, believe its a crap shoot. Who knows how long that particular battery sat around.

I had 2014 for 5 years. At the end of the 4th year at 20k miles the stator went out and the battery went out shortly thereafter. I think the two events where tied to gather. The battery in my current machine went out in only a year at 5k miles but during that year I abused it with many total discharge events. During my lifetime I have had many seasonal products with starter batteries. For the past 20 years I have had a battery monitoring program that insures that I do not get let down by a dead battery. I basically do not do a damm thing! At the end of a snowmobile or boating season when activities might be trailing off if the battery cranks a bit slow I change it. A good battery should get thru the off season and start a engine with no problem. If not change it. Do not start your season with a battery bolstered by a trickle charger. It will let you down at a bad time. A cheap battery may only last 2 years. My batteries last about 5 years. Maintaining a battery with a trickle charger might add a year but it is not worth the fuss or the risk.

I had 2014 for 5 years. At the end of the 4th year at 20k miles the stator went out and the battery went out shortly thereafter. I think the two events where tied to gather. The battery in my current machine went out in only a year at 5k miles but during that year I abused it with many total discharge events. During my lifetime I have had many seasonal products with starter batteries. For the past 20 years I have had a battery monitoring program that insures that I do not get let down by a dead battery. I basically do not do a damm thing! At the end of a snowmobile or boating season when activities might be trailing off if the battery cranks a bit slow I change it. A good battery should get thru the off season and start a engine with no problem. If not change it. Do not start your season with a battery bolstered by a trickle charger. It will let you down at a bad time. A cheap battery may only last 2 years. My batteries last about 5 years. Maintaining a battery with a trickle charger might add a year but it is not worth the fuss or the risk.
Trickle chargers vs. Battery Tenders are a completely different discussion. Battery tenders maintain the battery, when it gets to a certain level provides some juice. Doesn't send constant charge to it. I'll keep running my Optimate. 14 years on a stock battery and never let me down.

2015 RTX with 6,100 miles. Original battery. Key to life is battery tender IMO
yes... my 07 apex had the same battery for 7yrs and was on a tender every minute is was in off season.I changed it for peace of mind also....sure it would have went longer.

Trickle chargers vs. Battery Tenders are a completely different discussion. Battery tenders maintain the battery, when it gets to a certain level provides some juice. Doesn't send constant charge to it. I'll keep running my Optimate. 14 years on a stock battery and never let me down.
See....there ya go!

Point extended.... both Vipers have been sitting in enclosed trailer outside. I've always had an optimate tender on mine. My fiancees that we picked up a few months ago has never had a tender on it. Both were unplugged in trailer. Went to fire up both this weekend... my started, hers had power but not enough to turn sled over. Put battery on charger for 2 days so hopefully it's OK. Optimate tender going on thanksgiving weekend. :) Really hope I don't have to go buy a battery for a 2 year old sled with 1200 miles.

Are there recommendations on new batteries aside from stock, I live in the arctic and the acid for batteries has to be shipped hazmat which is expensive. But gel and other batteries are no problem.

Back