• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Coolant Puke ?

Riceburner

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
SideWinder LTX 50th
Anyone had a similar issue?

Friend has a stock 2015 LTX DX.
Worked great for 400 miles.
40 miles in to a groomed trail trip it dumped its coolant & 3/4 litre of oil [blew pressure cap off ] & quit in a corner throwing him off the sled thru the handlebars. Very bruised but had on Tek Vest so no massive internal injuries.
Took to dealer & they "did every test Yamaha suggested" & supposedly everything was ok.
He got the sled back after several weeks, Took it for a try & 2 miles in it started puking antifreeze again.
Needless to say he is not happy.
I'm thinking head gasket but one of my Doo buddies says no.

Sounds like a head gasket......

Head gasket. Had same problem with mine last year. Mine didn't dump any oil though.

If they pressure tested the system it should fail. I'm guessing they at least did that.

Subaru2006

Hey guys new to forum. I myself have a 2015 viper ltx le spring model and have had two issues with it. The first one was coolant leak. It leaked when I had so took it back to dealer. They could not find leak so they gave it back to me. Once again, it leaked on me so I sent it back to dealer. After the four time back I grabbed a mechanic and walked him out to my trailer where the sled was. Started it up no leak at first BUT when the thermostat opened up after reaching temp it started to leak. The mechanic had no problem finding it. It came from the top of heat exchanger. Loose clamp. My dealer told me they to did a pressure check and found no leak. After this he was very apologetic and fixed the problem. Hope this helps out.

HEY guys, I posted on this a while back. The hose that goes vertically into the thermostat housing has a trademark on the sealing surface! Ours did not leak until 500 miles or so and then was a bear to find. BUT, if your hose clamp is on just right it won't leak. Also seems to leak at random making it hard for the dealer to find. Had I known what I know now I would have just moved the hose clamp over closer to the end of the hose and retightened. Pic below should explain. Show pic to dealer if he is doubtful and ask him to check that hose.

hose.jpg

hosemount.jpg

Back