• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper - Cross Shaft in Tunnel

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Buddy of mine broke his cross shaft at the front of his skid that is mounted across the tunnel.

He rides pretty hard but is no Tucker. The shaft broke in half and begin tearing through the side of the tunnel. Major damage.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket kit that provides additional aluminum plates that can reinforce the exterior of the tunnel? to prevent this from happening.

We all have wholloped a ditch at one point or another. That's all it took in this case to bend the cross shaft, then pounding throughout the day must have sheared it off. Seemed to happen way too easy.

MS

Thanks Cannondale,
The work you did was custom - no one is making a reinforcement kit for it?

Nice job.

And no, this is not under warranty. I knew this could happen but figured only to guys that really pound their sled. This isn't the case. If you ride aggressive, you better keep an eye on the condition of that shaft.

MS

Reinforcements.jpg

Broke mine on 14 viper, just made new solid bar for my new sidewinder.
can't believe they use that hollow tube still.

I didn't break my upper cross shaft, but I have bent the lower center shock mount shaft - twice. This fall I noticed small cracks in the tunnel where the upper cross shaft mounts. I turned it in for warranty and was declined. Yamaha said it was 'cosmetic'. What a bunch of crap!! So I made my own plates to strengthen the mount area, and then I replaced the upper cross shaft parts and lower shock mount with all RR parts. Ultimately I have something that is now stronger than what Yamaha would have replaced under warranty. So I'm better in the long run. Still pissed about the warranty decline though.

Found this on Facebook under the Viper section. Looks like it could solve a few problems.

A MOST. Swedish Steel. Axle for front shock absober lower bracket www.catmaster.se
$65
Östersund
To most Arctic Cat and Yamaha-Arctic
Axle for front shock absober lower bracket.
Original number: 3604-269 is made of aluminum
(Also replaces 1604-400, 1604-070, 1604-792 and 0623-907)
With a long bolt through the skid frame.
1: It loosens constantly because the bolt becomes longer
2: The aluminum shaft bend.
3: this in combination makes the holes in the aluminum rails oval

A MUST:
Our own axle made of Swedish steel with thickness where necessary, with bolt from each side
Best No: 96-04269E Price: 65 Usd
(Replaces No: 1, 4, 5 and 6 on part of the spare part picture.)

spacer and washers use original.
(Need only one spacer to our axle)

Send a e-mail to order@arcticstore.se
With your name, and telephone number,and we will be back to you.
Ship from Milaca Minnesota Delivery time 2-3 days.

viper lower shock support.jpg

That’s a nice piece but I guess hard to order and ship. Dealer here needs to buy a bunch. I would be in. That long bolt going all the way through is a constant thing to tighten for me. Two separate bolts is a great idea.

My xtx has 2 bolts, 1 on each side of tunnel into tops of W, no cross shaft. I guess xtx skids are different????????

My xtx has 2 bolts, 1 on each side of tunnel into tops of W, no cross shaft. I guess xtx skids are different????????
Yes, XTX is different. The RTX and LTX models use the sliding front torque arm. As part of the design, there is a shaft that is mounted across the tunnel where the front of the suspension is normally hard-mounted. The sliding front torque arm slides against that shaft. The XTX doesn't have the sliding front torque arm. The front torque arm has a traditional solid-mount-to-the-tunnel design.

Yes I just looked through the parts finder at all the different models, funny they would do this. Crazy idea but are the pivot arms in any way interchangeable?? Would this be an option for those breaking shafts?

Back