• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper down

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
Wife’s 2016 viper toasted a starter. Friday night sled sat outside for about 1.5 hours and she went to start it and it just cranked, so I gave it a slight throttle and had a huge backfire. Shut key off and went to restart and it started just fine. Saturday morning when cranking starter sounded kinda funny but started ,but after 3 restarts of it getting worse each time it finally gave out. Had to tow sled. Sled only has less than 3500 miles and this kinda #*$&@ is starting to piss me off with Yamaha. I’m sure this not gonna be a cheap fix

Very common issue in this forum as I am sure you discovered. On mine the magnets let go in the starter housing. But fear not! its actually not too expensive or hard to replace the starter. I bought an aftermarket one for 120 CAD, removed the lower access panel (where the oil filter is), removed the oil drain plug and oil filter (lost some oil but most of the oil is in the reservoir). Then I was able to undo the bolts and the cable and drop the starter from below. replace, add some oil in the valve cover fill and good to go. mines a 2014.

I dont think so, when I took my starter out the drive was fine. In my case the starter motor failed. When you try to start your sled is the starter spinning?

If it back fitted hard then you are going to want to check the teeth on the ring gear to ensure none of them broke off and ended up in the oil pan. When do this DO NOT turn the motor backwards with the primary clutch, only turn it in the direction it runs!

Look up the posts from Grizztracks on how to remove, inspect, clean out and replace the starter. His posts contain everything you need to know.

The drive gear on the start might be fine but the teeth on the ring gear the starter spins may be toast. You have to look at the ring gear in the motor. When the teeth break off they end up in the oil pan. As I stated, look up the starter posts from Grizztracks and they will explain all and have detailed pictures also.

Back