• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VK Pro Regulator-Rectifier

VKProSteve

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 VK Professional
Hi, new to the forum and was hoping for a little help....Bought a 06 VK Pro today(4400kms). The fellow I bought it off had recently replaced the stator, said it ran good, then regulator quit and he replaced that too. He gave me the old ones and there was an invoice from RM Stator from feb of last year. After searching around this forum and reading the common issue of these parts I felt reassured that I'd be all good having these changed. I took it for a long trail ride before buying and decided to go ahead with it yesterday. Today I rode I for about three hours (nice slow bush trail cruising) and ran great. Then it quit. Main fuse was blown. I went to replace it and the fuse arched and blew while I inserted. Fuse terminals have power on one side and ground on the other with the fuse removed? Disconnected the stator plug on voltage regulator, no change. Disconnect +\- plug on regulator, no more ground to the fuse (shorting to ground through the regulator). I tested the regulator and it does not check out. I need a new regulator but I am wondering why this regulator failed so quickly? Is there something that caused this to fail? It has a new battery with no issues also. I have not rang out the stator yet. I am hoping to not end up dead in the water again with the same issue.

Last edited:

BTW, packed trail no powder, connectors all dry. The new plugs that came with the regulator were not used and in the box. Plugs showed a little corrosion but not really bad. There was a little dielectric grease in the connectors.

Last edited:
3E21A173-AC4E-4976-B949-FF83E352B4A2.jpeg
View attachment 152793 View attachment 152792

I rang out the original stator out of machine, it was no good. Shorted to ground and looked pretty cooked. Original regulator/rectifier was open in all phase directions, it was no good too. They reg I removed was bad on one phase of the three sets of diodes both ways, the other two were good both ways. Confused about testing a Mosfet reg. I picked up some fuses and will rescue it from the bush later today. After looking at the wiring diagram it may be just the ground to the regulator (thoughts?). I will check out the newly installed stator and check the ground wire from reg plug and may hopefully find something.

There's been lots of issues reported about RMStator stators. Maybe when it shorted it took out the regulator.

I disconnected power plug from the reg and gave it a new fuse to drive it from the back forty. Stator checks out both static and dynamic. Definitely the reg. Ground checks out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction about RMstator. It was bought last spring so it will be under warranty. Will install an OEM and keep the aftermarket for a spare. Hoping it isn’t the aftermarket stator that is wiping the regs out! Time will tell.

I disconnected power plug from the reg and gave it a new fuse to drive it from the back forty. Stator checks out both static and dynamic. Definitely the reg. Ground checks out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction about RMstator. It was bought last spring so it will be under warranty. Will install an OEM and keep the aftermarket for a spare. Hoping it isn’t the aftermarket stator that is wiping the regs out! Time will tell.
I had a 2017 Polaris 570 atv here in the summer. The stock regulator was fried, apparently they had a problem. It was out of warranty so I bought one from kimpex which was an rm stator model. It only lasted a couple weeks. Ended up buying the updated Polaris model. Been fine since.
This isn't to say all aftermarket regs are junk as I have used many.
But many are no good.

go oe on the regulator. if stator goes again go oe. i went oe when i did one on the 09 phazer as no one that used an aftermarket one kept the sled after replacing it. read a few horror stories on aftermarket ones and that made my decision on oe.

Back