• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warm Right Boot

SXRPILOT

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 50th Anniversary Sidewinder LTX
Last ride of the year on some fast trails in Northern Ontario and boot got very warm. Chain case was pretty warm and oil tank was hot enough you couldn’t keep your fingers on it. Engine temperature was good. Is all this heat transferred from the exhaust and turbo or should I be looking for something else?

engine oil helps keep engine cool as well as lubed. never measured on a sled but would see engine oil temps of over 100 c with dino oil in my 10 silverado when pulling hard. with synthetic i would worry if it hit that temp.

as the conditions where keeping the coolant cool, i would say the higher air temp helped bring it up that high with how the air is routed through there. if you where running it with the panel off, it would not have been noticed by you as it would have had more air flow. most likely have not hurt anything.

I have had my right boot get very warm when the fuel quality is poor, the engine detects misfire i believe and adds more fuel, and the muffler gets very hot. did you burn more fuel this trip out? is there maybe some soot around the muffler or by the cover vents? I have yet to see any negative effects yet. but i havent pulled my engine apart either.

On a hot day how fast were you riding? These motors do get hot, it’s a motor, they get hot especially on a warm day.
My truck gets hot when I open the hood on a warm day , these are motors, you could take hood off and it will still be hot. It’s the nature of the beast, I just had to say this!!!

Trust the temp gauge. If things are to warm you will know based on coolant temps.. My last ride I was running in upper 30's and low 40's and my coolant was running about 3-4 degrees warmer, but the minute you stopped or idled it would rise FAST.. In cold temps you don't see the big spikes in temps.. I always have the temp display up on mine.. Now if you had some HOT oil on your right boot that's another story? DAMN that rollover valve!

It was hovering around freezing that day 0*C. 20-30 minutes of speeds constantly over 100kms. Sounds like heat transfer, it was the last ride of the season so I wrung it’s neck. Time to replace fluids, thanks for the feedback!

Last ride of the year on some fast trails in Northern Ontario and boot got very warm. Chain case was pretty warm and oil tank was hot enough you couldn’t keep your fingers on it. Engine temperature was good. Is all this heat transferred from the exhaust and turbo or should I be looking for something else?
I'd say all normal. Engine oil temp returning to tank is approaching 200 degF, hotter than coolant which is around 170 F. Then, add heat from muffler right in front of both tanks. Most oils are synthetic these days and can easily handle 275+ degF with no degradation in performance at all.

I'd say all normal. Engine oil temp returning to tank is approaching 200 degF, hotter than coolant which is around 170 F. Then, add heat from muffler right in front of both tanks. Most oils are synthetic these days and can easily handle 275+ degF with no degradation in performance at all.
I like how you added adhesive heat sheilding to your tank..(I seen a pic you posted somewhere here on ty)i plan on doing the same to mine

i get hot foot as well. Probably because I burned out muffler. I put heat shield tape on everywhere I could, which helped a lot but next year I will be covering turbo with tomcat and heat tapping the exhaust for sure.

I like how you added adhesive heat shielding to your tank..(I seen a pic you posted somewhere here on ty)i plan on doing the same to mine
I thought the factory heat shielding was minimal and flimsy looking considering how much heat tank is exposed to (even with the stock heat shield in place). It's plastic! And, it doesn't cover the whole front of the tank. I used way better adhesive-backed insultation and covered the whole front of the tank. I also put some on the inside (facing engine/exhaust) of the chain case, and covered that coolant line on left side. Also used same stuff to cover oil tank and chain case surfaces that face muffler. Also insulated the stator end of the engine that is right next to muffler. Anything to keep heat out or reflect it away.

Attachments

• gas tank reinsulate2.jpg
    gas tank reinsulate2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 139
  • heat insulation2.jpg
    heat insulation2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 148
  • heat insulation3.1.jpg
    heat insulation3.1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 148
  • gas tank pic.1.jpg
    gas tank pic.1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 144
Looks like this muffler has been pretty hot.
Had to stop before and put my right boot in the snow to cool it down.
Hp makes heat.

47863.jpeg

408F06E0-8883-4A06-BCAD-C568A2849EBA.jpeg
The TD Turbo force muffler does not get hot. How do I know. I put a hot dogger on it and it wouldn’t cook my food!!! No BS. I have vents up front maybe that’s why? Frog skin vent upper right in picture.

Last edited:

Back