• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why didn't Yamaha develop the original sno scoot more?

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
I have never seen one of these on the trail but have seen the astronomical prices they commanded about ten years ago.

I also saw when they first came out and Yamaha had some fun videos of them pushing balls around. It's often called the first rider forward sled and it does look like it. The track is way short.

So why didn't Yamaha drop a big thumper engine in it at the time or move one of the twins over. Was the sit back style just so ingrained in the divisions that they couldn't get over it? I heard the originals barely sold.

Original 1988 to 1990 snow scoots and sno sports were just ahead of their time I guess—- I remember my shop trying to get rid of the sno scoots for $999, just to get them gone—-

they were originally built for adults as a back yard or around the cabin toy—-

They were certainly well-built for an adult to ride. The first ride with my son, I actually had him on it with me.

Scoot.JPG
Frame.JPG

The only reason why I would question if they were really intended for an adult is that they were either equipped with the kick-started or the kick-started w/ elec start; of which I have. Always thought the kick-start was intend for a young lad to be able to start vs him/her trying to pull a recoil cord to start. :dunno:

Typical big Y parts bin special. The motor/driveline combo was straight off of a scooter, hence the kick start hanging off the side of it. They were no doubt ahead of their time, but that’s just par for the course. Yamaha has always been fantastic at bringing things to market that are way ahead of the competition, but the execution tends to be off a little and they miss the bullseye which leads to poor sales. Many times consumers just aren’t quite there yet. When you look at these types of things through the rear view it’s easy to see they should have been quite popular, but just never gained enough traction at that point in time for various reasons.

Original 1988 to 1990 snow scoots and sno sports were just ahead of their time I guess—- I remember my shop trying to get rid of the sno scoots for $999, just to get them gone—-

they were originally built for adults as a back yard or around the cabin toy—-

Yes, although it was before my time, my dad and grandfather both have the stories of what they had to mark them down to even move them. Nobody wanted them then.

Back