• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why go Tek Vest? Here is a better alternative:

Aren't Hockey pads made to save you from a 90 mph Puck and getting smashed into by some 250 lb Goon and then crushed into the wall and, of course, getting whacked by a stick everyday for an entire season ?

Hmmm. I would really like to see a comparison between the average cost Tekvest ($199 to $339) and full coverage Hockey shoulder pads ($64.99).

I know alot of Hairscramble folks that use the hockey pads. They have saved a lot of collar bones from trees.
But if you have extra money to spend, buy what ever you want. If you are on a budget it is a good option.

Hockey pucks and 250lb goons are no match to a 600lb sled and 144 carbide studs rotating at 100 mph.

Again the real question is "What are your body parts worth? $240.00 (300 tekvest minus 60 hockey pads)? JMO.

YS

YamiSmurf said:
Hockey pucks and 250lb goons are no match to a 600lb sled and 144 carbide studs rotating at 100 mph.

Again the real question is "What are your body parts worth? $240.00 (300 tekvest minus 60 hockey pads)? JMO.

YS

144 carbide studs going 100mph.... Very good (and sharp) point.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the protection of the hockey equipment. I wouldn't say it will help with the 144 studs at 100 mph but for lower trail speeds it should be alright. One way to test it is if anyone here plays physical (not rec) hockey and owns a tek vest. Should wear it for a scrimmage or something and ask your team mates to throw a few moderate hits and see how it compares to the hockey gear. (seems MUCH safer then a deliberate crash on a sled and since I doubt anyone has the money/equipment to test it the proper way in a lab head to head but if so...)

Auskins, That's truely the best idea I've heard in a while. Hopefully a TYer will be able to conduct your experiment.

A shot to all three sides: front, back and either side (above the waist and below the armpit).

YS

Too bad you'll look like a loser walking in wearing your Hocky pads.....

Maybe we should use out skate as runners............and why buy a new helmut....already got a great CCM

If your afraid of what you look like in the hockey pads, you should think how you look in the vest!!!

Neither are for picking up chicks!!!

BR

Daranello said:

Maybe we should use out skate as runners............and why buy a new helmut....already got a great CCM

Seriously, that is uncalled for. A simple "not keen on the idea of using hockey pads for snowmobiling" would do.

I respect everyones opinions and input in regards to this post. It was not my intention to have this post become a debatable subject, just wanted to share some info with my fellow cohorts. Even if we choose to agree to disagree, one thing we all can concede too is personal safety. I commend all who are wearing some sort of chest protection and setting new standards for the sledding industry.

Happy trails!

Daranello said:

As opposed to making yourself look like a loser on this forum for an incredibly stupid statement?

Back