• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Woody's Dooleys Long Term Run

biffdotorg

VIP Member
Website
www.biff.org
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex XTX and Viper LTX SE
WEBSITE
www.biff.org
So it was obvious that I was in need of new carbides during our last couple trips on my Apex XTX. On packed snow, I was pushing hard. I was thinking it was the 1.6" Ice Cobra pre-studded track I had just installed.

Nope, the front half of my Woodys dooleys were worn down to the flat bar on the bottom of the ski. It was also obvious that I need to shim my skis in the rear to even the wear.

I am not paid by Woodys but if I were to endorse anything for durability it would be their traction products. I am sure I put these on in the first 1000 miles and I am now sitting around 5700 miles. What does that tell ya, and many miles were in less than ideal conditions.

Here are some pics, and yes, I went with 8" now that I am getting more traction in the back. This sucker is ready to rock the hard pack this spring!!

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2793.JPG
    IMG_2793.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2796.JPG
    IMG_2796.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 157

Just curious biff, why the Doolies vs. Slim Jim's? I've been running Doolies on all my sleds since 2000, but just bought a set of Slim Jims for my 14 Vec LTX (no studs). Lot's of people say they like them better than Doolies so I thought....what the jeck.

I have a '05 (unstudded) Vector shorty (skis shimmed) with 4" dualies and it goes really straight. Zero darting. Notice a little drag and a little push but the tracking totally makes up for it.
On my '10 Vector LTX GT (3 studs per paddle and skis shimmed) I have 8" Slim Jims. Minimal darting but not as good as the '05 with the 4" dualies. A little drag like the dualies, but a little less push in the corners.
This is not an apples to apples comp obviously. Both of my Vecs are setup with minimal ski spring pressure and the limiter pulled up 1 notch.

Just curious biff, why the Doolies vs. Slim Jim's? I've been running Doolies on all my sleds since 2000, but just bought a set of Slim Jims for my 14 Vec LTX (no studs). Lot's of people say they like them better than Doolies so I thought....what the jeck.

Not really sure as it is a great question. I was not seeing the benefit of the Slim Jim's other than they may have less drag and that may have been a big bonus. I would bet they would perform very similar to Snowtrackers in their design. I had good luck with Dooley's so went that direction again.

I did go with 6" originally since I had the XTX, and it worked out really well and seemed balanced with an unstudded track. When I switched to the pre-studded ice cobra, I did notice push in the corners. this could have also been from the wear on the dooleys as well. I will find out now that the longer 8" are installed. Either way, I was very impressed with the wear. We have run quite a bit of plowed road in the past few weeks, so I am sure quite a bit of wear has been in the last month. And I suppose once the carbide is gone, it would eat away at the runner.

On a similar note, I put in Dupont Hyfax many miles back as well and they have worn well too. So maybe I am exaggerating on the conditions. As they were just starting to wear out the vespel inserts in spots. It was about the time that the actual hyfax was starting to wear. I could have gone longer, but the skid was out for the track change, and it was a good time to install the ones I had on the shelf waiting to go in.

Back