• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you buy a used VK Pro?

swampdog

There seem to be no shortage of used VK Pros for sale. Most are from '06 or '07. Some have very low mileage. So I'm thinking of buying one of those instead of a new one.

I know that the '07 has the two speed transmission, unlike the '06. Can anyone tell me whether Yamaha made any other changes of note since introducing the VK Pro? Are the older ones the same as the new ones?

Finally, would you buy another one? Reviews mention hard starting and overheating as problems. Are those problems exaggerated?

Thanks for your help.

maim said:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=50901

this is a good thread on the vkpro. from what i know, they pretty much have been unchanged other than the chaincase and the colour since they started making them.

Thanks for your reply. I read through that and many other threads on here. The reviews of the VK seem mixed - some love them and others hate them.

never driven one myself buy brother knows someone with an 06 and they love it. they mainly use it for hauling wood and gear to camp. they have only gotten stuck once and once they took the 2 tons of slush out of the sleigh, it walked right out on its own.

Went ahead and bought an '07 VK Pro with less than 900 miles on it. The former owner hadn't used it for the past few years.

Now I'm anxious to see snow but might have to wait a while for that.

I've owned a couple of 2-stroke Vikings and now a Pro. No regrets. The Pro is a great machine for my needs, but I'll qualify that I don't use my Pro to go boonie-busting in deep snow. These sleds are powerful and comfortable frieght pullers and even make a pretty good trail cruiser but they are not powder sleds and are not good in the tight twisties. For breaking trail in bottomless snow I'd rather have my old Vikings or better yet a Tundra or Bravo. I have lots of friends with a variety of wide track sleds and after trying them all I'm staying with Yamaha for my needs. In my opinion the old Vikings were the best of class and the Pro has raised the bar. The competitive sleds on the market aren't up to the standard. The closest one would be the SkiDoo Expedition series. Great sleds. Better riders than the Pro but not as good at the heavy hauling. A guy needs to choose a sled for what he needs. One size does not fit all.

I find it a very good WORK sled, and I am on my second, a used '07 which had about 550 miles on it when i got it. I've been wondering what was wrong with it that the previous owner got rid of it. So far, pretty good results. Good luck with your new one! Get the right tool for the job, and you will be happy you did. Knowing what the job is, is the key.

Back