• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

What do you mean bad shock? Only 27 miles when first strap broke? I feel it rides darn good. Please elaborate your thoughts.

700 miles and straps are fine, only mod to the sled is 5.35 wheels on the outside of the rails vs factory 5.25, maybe this allows a slight clearance from the track to the straps?? Not sure just thinking out loud.

kkraus and Wis Sledder,

I owe you boys an apology. My skid is out and I looked closely at my limiters with regard to your issues. I looked pretty well at my straps in less than perfect conditions in the trailer and thought they were fine. I was wrong. On one sled, at 122 miles, both limiters are in need of replacing. I can see the problem very clearly from above when I compress the front arm, and I can even explain why yours are failing faster than others. If the limiter moves freely around the tube of the front arm when the front shock is compressed(we're talking about the top of the limiter) the strap can and obviously does contact the track. If I compress my front arm completely several times my straps rotate freely only occasionally. I'll bet yours rotate every time. Other machines probably don't rotate at all....yet. Here's a picture of my straps with the arm compressed.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 383
So, what to do about it? Unless Yamaha makes some modification you can count on the problem returning. As you've noted, it can return very quickly. Here's a picture of the front arm and the limiter going over the top. There's a welded fixture to hold the loop that's sort of a belt loop. I'll add another loop on the rear of the tube, opposite of the existing belt loop. This will limit the strap's ability to rotate up into the track. Another solution would be to fabricate rectangular washers with the intent of pinching the straps to the upper tube to prevent rotation. That is less invasive so I'll play with it before I start welding on the tube. I have to do some welding on the rear shock top mount bracket anyway so I'm not sure what I'll decide on yet. I'll take pictures and post it either way.

Good call, boys. Yamaha definitely has a problem.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 392
For the record, I thought mine were perfect as well. If you want to be thorough, inspect the straps at the point where the strap terminates at the top adjustment end toward the rear, just below the nut and washer as shown in my photo. Now that I see it I can't believe I missed it!

Another thing I'll do is turn the top bolts so that the spare threads face forward. It may be that the extra bolt length catches in the track and drags the strap up with it I can't verify that with the suspension installed in the track so I'm speculating.

SB

I hate to say it but I knew there would be more issues out there with these straps. The big issue is that the dealers don't stock them so that means down time for guys that just bought a new sled. I'm waiting to see what Yamaha says. probably the same thing they said about the handwarmers... "Really? Your the first one to complain about this issue"

The straps are junk. After breaking two straps in 500 miles on my pro-active I put arctic cat straps on and now have over 5000 miles and they still look like the day I put them on.

My wear is at the top of the strap.

I would like to confirm pre-mature limiter strap wear on my XTX also.
My wear is at the top under the bolt and washer.
Chucks are being ripped off.
I have gone down one hole tighter.
See photo.

Dealer will be notified for first time required service.
I haven't reached 800kms yet.

Cheers

Attachments

• strap-wear-xtx.jpg
    strap-wear-xtx.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 350

Back