• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha 2 stroke

sbsmith70

All-
Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the Yamaha 2 stroke up for sale is actually an '04 SX Viper 700, 1300 miles, 2" track. Anyone want to chime in on opinions on this model Sled? I'd appreciate any feedback as to issues, reliability etc.
Thanks.
sbsmith

Close to 12,000 on my 02 Viper ER. One set of pistons and rings at 9,500. Installed rear cooler (04 should have one) and eliminated overheating. Shimmed the fuel pump, fixed 2 wiring rubs. Suspension was typical Proaction chassis. Still on original primary clutch components, other than springs. Has NEVER stranded me, on or off trail. That one should go with that 2" track, as long as it's clutched right LOL. Good luck with your decision!!

my buddy has had a 2002 viper since no repairs do not know what the milage is the only complaint it rides hard,but it corners like you would not belive Bob

I have an 02 with 9000 miles the wife won't let me trade for a 4-stroke. Her sled and she loves it. Put new pistons and rings in at 8500 miles. It's easy on gas and oil. Very reliable with just regular maint. Put C&A skis on it and the mono shock rear out of my Apex so it not only rails but rides really well too.

I had a 2004 viper "s" GREAT SLED ad gas, oil and GO not much suspension but the best sled i road (untill i bought my attak) NEVER NEVER once stranded me if i lived where the trails were long and smooth i would still be on it

Have an 04 Viper S. Good ride handles great. If it'sone of these with the Ohlin shocks up front it's the best of the Vipers. Better seat in 04 also. Known 3 guys with Vipers all 02's and all said they would rather ride mine.
With a littletweaking from help on here the ride gets better.

Good Luck :yam:

sbsmith70 said:
All-
Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the Yamaha 2 stroke up for sale is actually an '04 SX Viper 700, 1300 miles, 2" track. Anyone want to chime in on opinions on this model Sled? I'd appreciate any feedback as to issues, reliability etc.
Thanks.
sbsmith

With SLP-tripple pipe set and adjustments to the back suspension its a fun sled. Quick rods instead of the stupid ones which are there or just take them away and belt it down instead. Lots more weight transfer and a much more fun machine.

Reliability is good, the seat is worthless and you are going to walk like John Wayne after a while. Change that, the pipes and the weight transfer and you have a really fun machine.

7000 miles on mine. Still have it, can't part with it. only had to replace the stator. Added the rear cooler when new but other than that is just works.

One of my favorite all time sleds. I still run mine, though it is setup for off-trail riding. One of the sweetest 2-stroke motors ever made.

I had and '02. ~9000 miles. It never let me down. Only complaints I had with sled was the rear suspension doesn't ride very good and having to clean power valves every 1,000 miles... Otherwise ;)!
I think a viper with a mono shock skid would be a great ride.

Back