• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZR700 vs Viper, what is the difference?

They are just as condition dependent as the Viper. I don't know if the Cat clutching makes a big difference compared to stock Viper clutching or not, but as I mentioned, the low speeds complained about by some struggling to get mid 90's in excellent conditions are lower than I see. Dont believe over 105 is doable with just a muffler for added power? I don't exaggerate numbers. I'll go out and do it again once the snow on the lake melts some and gets hard with the go-pro strapped just for you. You can do my next shock revalve for free when you eat crow. Lol!
I wouldn't spend the money to swap to Cat clutching if I owned a Viper. I wouldn't expect to see the same top end numbers on the new team clutches Cat swapped to either.
Do it in loose snow with snow dust as proof and then we have a bet! Conditions matter big time.

That's close and two totally different skids.

Yes, I am not saying the Cat is 20 MPH faster. As of last night the best I've seen out of my Viper is 91 on a scraped logging road. The cat I rode hit 95 on a hard packed road. I am willing to give it a few miles per hour faster in the stock configuration. Talking to the guys at the Yamaha shop and the consensus is we believe the Cat's stock fuel mapping is a little bit different. With that said today is the day I get the Ulmer quiet can and clutching on the Viper. Will see what I see tonight when I take it for a ride.

for all the grief i was told id have with cat clutching....9000kms, 1.77 track and no clutch work at all...thing still rips pretty good for a n/a

I hit 100 mph on dream meter (97 gps) 0n snow covered road the other day.Bone stock sled (revalved rear skid shocks and 96 studs only.)

Last edited:

Back