• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Technical Bulletin S2014-001. Reverse Update

Alpha

Expert
If you have not gotten the call you will soon for a update for the reverse extension. The update is a new extension plug with a indent and a wedge and spring. This update is their fix for vipers/7000's popping out of gear.

If you can get ahold of a kit it is super easy to install. Most cat dealers should have the kits in stock now.

Here is a pic of the new parts.
1.jpg

Tools you will need to do the update:
1. Channel locks
2. Small flat head screw driver
3. T-25 Torx bit
4. Side cutters
5. Med lock tight
6. One zip tie.
7. One beer of your choice

Step One.
- Remove your seat
- Remove both side panels
- Remove tank guard

The reverse actuator is on the right side on your chain case
3.jpg

Step Two.
You will see a black zip tie that the wire harness zip tied to another wire loom. Cut the zip tie. This allows room to move the actuator once its off.
12.jpg

Step Three.
On the actuator you will see three torx bolts. They are T-25 torx. Make sure you use ONLY T-25 so you don't strip them. Remove the three and put them aside.

Step Four.
Here is the actuator extension exposed. It is the gold part.
4.jpg

Step Five.
Take the channel locks and turn the actuator counter clock wise. This will put the assembly into forward. If it will not turn it's already in forward and your ready for the next step.

5.jpg

Step Six.
You can use your fingers or the channel lock and wiggle the extension out.
6.jpg

Step Seven.
Transfer the two O-rings to the new extension.

Step Eight.
Install the new plug. The notch on the plug needs to be on the bottom at the six-clock position.
7.jpg

Step Nine.
The bottom of the stop has a hole put the spring in that hole and hold it so it does not fall out. To install it just go in spring first push down to compress the spring and it will slide in. It will look like this.
8.jpg

Step Ten.

Take a little flat head screwdriver and push the spring in until its touching the back and is in nice and snug. Then push and make sure the stop is also in as far it will go.

9.jpg

Step Eleven.
Re-install the actuator. Dab a tiny bit of blue lock tight on the ends of the three torx bolts. Hand tighten them wiggling the actuator to make sure they line up right. This is important so you do not cross thread them. Tighten them down little by little so they all go snug about the same time. DO NOT over tighten it!!! It is plastic and will crack. They should be tightened to 3 foot pounds. I have read that some have said the actuator is loaded and yes it might feel that way when you take it off. The unit is timed so when you reinstall you DO NOT need to pre-load it. Just line up the splines and install.

Step Twelve.
Take another sip of your beer and re zip tie the wires you cut.

Step Thirteen.
Start your sled and push the reverse button about four times. ( Get it in and out of reverse about two times ) After that test it in forward. Replace plastic and you are done!

Step Fourteen.
Give yourself a pat on the back finish your beer and add snow
11.jpg

-

Last edited by a moderator:

Very nice write-up, looks pretty simple. Of course Yamaha is saying Mar 10th for parts. Does not seem right but will have to check local Cat dealer? This can't be good for the "partnership". If this does show up more with miles Yamaha someone could be spending lots on gears and chains.

sk-rx1 said:
Very nice write-up, looks pretty simple. Of course Yamaha is saying Mar 10th for parts. Does not seem right but will have to check local Cat dealer? This can't be good for the "partnership". If this does show up more with miles Yamaha someone could be spending lots on gears and chains.

Thanks. If you are riding your sled don't wait, especially if your sled has popped out of gear already. The top sprockets on the viper/7000 are steel cut so they can take some abuse. But if it happens more than a few times it still will cause damage. Yamahatim said he called his cat dealer and they had the updates in stock for 20.00

Right on....I will. I'll go get it soon. Should be pretty easy. Wonder if it has to be done through Yamaha to be documented.

mine jumped out of gear once during break in around 300 miles my chain was really loose after I tightened it and has not happened again and I now have 1300 miles.

harveywallbanger said:
mine jumped out of gear once during break in around 300 miles my chain was really loose after I tightened it and has not happened again and I now have 1300 miles.

If it did it once it can do it again. Check with your Yamaha dealer for the update. If they can not get the parts yet go get the parts at a cat dealer and DIY if you are able. Their are a few bugs with these sleds but this was enough of concern from what they saw that can happen at the factory that they addressed it.

Please update your instructions on page 11 to revise the torque callout from 7 ft lbs to 3 ft lbs. the Yamaha instructions and the owners manual call out 36 inch lbs. which equals 3 ft lbs.

Also add application of the light lithium grease to the extension, o ring seals and detent block.

Great job on the work instruction especially the pictures, best I've seen and I've seen many hundred thousand.

Back