• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

141/2.25" or 153/1.75" ?

M_N

Veteran
Will buy another sled at the end of this season. Looking at either a 141 with the PowerClaw 2.25 or a 153 with the BackCountry track. Our riding is ~30/70 on/off trail. Usually a lot of deep snow riding mid season, not very much into hill climbing though. More of trail riding at end of season with potentially marginal snow conditions. Looking at ~40" front end with quick disconnect sway bar. Question is what track to choose, anyone with experience from similar conditions and sled configuration?

If you ride 70% off trail I would probably go with the 153". The extra length will make life easier in deep snow by allowing the sled to float more, it also allows you to go slower to give you more time to pick your terrain so to speak.
Only you may want to opt for the 2.25" or possibly even a 2.6" Power Claw. I have the 2.6" and they actually do better on the trail then you would think! Although you'll want to run ice scratchers with both the 2,25" and 2.6" when on hard pack.
Not sure if top end speed is important to you, but one drawback to the taller track is that they do scrub off some top end speed.

Last edited:
I agree with mtnviper and im currently running a 2.6 x153 power claw and thats a very impressive track off trail and gets you around pretty good with scratches for the hard pack day's.

Ok, thanks for your input. Top speed is irrelevant to me. If it gets to 60-65 mph quickly, I'm happy.
Met an Arctic owner this weekend with a HighCountry (141/2.25 PC) that had done around 5000km (~3100 miles) off which at least 50% was on-trail. That track didn't look all that bad, in fact no missing lugs at all! Couldn't have guessed that!
My concern with a 153, 2.25/2.6 PC, would be too much understeer. However, probably an acceptable compromise given the on/off-trail ratio we usually have and also something that could be tuned by a wise selection of skis and setup.
Any thoughts on skis by the way? Mohawk's, Cat's ProClimb-7 or Polairs Grippers? What floats in the deep and handles trail decently?

I run Polaris Grippers on mine and they seem to be a good all around ski. I had them on my Nytro as well.
I haven't tried any of the aftermarket skies though. Pretty much anything in the 7" to 8" range usually works well on a four stroke for off trail duty.

Last edited:
I agree with mtnviper and im currently running a 2.6 x153 power claw and thats a very impressive track off trail and gets you around pretty good with scratches for the hard pack day's.
How do you find the 153 compared the 141?Much of a difference, is it worth the cost to upgrade?I thought of doing it myself but would like to know how significant any gains off trail would be.

One of the biggest differences you'll notice is that you can go slower and pick your "spots to ride" without getting stuck as often in deeper snow. With the 141" you have to be on the throttle more to keep your momentum up so that the sled doesn't dig down and get stuck if that makes sense.
To convert a 141" to a 153" you need just the rails, rear tunnel half, bumper, rivets and track of course.

How do you find the 153 compared the 141?Much of a difference, is it worth the cost to upgrade?I thought of doing it myself but would like to know how significant any gains off trail would be.

I agree with Mtnviper. Having rode 2 seasons at 141 before I noticed that I can now take my time and go a lot more places with 153. Somewhat had to relearn to ride again with the new 153 setup.

Thanks for the replys, summer project maybe.

Back