• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

Anyone else considering the old "I threw a rod getting it on the trailer" excuse and riding until the ever gracious yamaha camp can find the time to do us this huge favor... (heavy on the sarcasm)

This is one time I wish I was Canadian. I would have my kit and have no more worries. lol

Those Canadian puck-ers have poutine, maple syrup, and rod kits.

They get all the luck.

My kit has been sitting on the service managers floor for almost a month. I am taking it in on Monday should have it back by Wednesday. I am interested to see what comes out, and yes I will be testing them with a file.

This is one time I wish I was Canadian. I would have my kit and have no more worries. lol
Careful what you wish for! We may have the kits but my sled has been at the dealer for 2 weeks, was told it would be done last week, then this week. And so I planned a trip for this weekend but surprise surprise! Sled won't be done! Going on 3 weekends missed! Not impressed....

Arguing that MPI should have made changes to the factory supported kit when Yamaha didn't publish a word that the motor has changed is the pot calling the kettle black for sure but it is the route Yamaha has chosen.

Beyond avoiding the PR of accepting the blame, Yamaha is clinging to the rods being 100% acceptable for their as built purpose so as to avoid having to update the rods on ALL 2016.5 motors rather than just the 400 or so that were dealer MPI equipped.

The real losers here are 2016 owners whose sleds are now toxic on resale (why buy a "bad rod" 2016 when 14-15's have "good rods"). Dealer turbo guys will get a blue dot on the case, but anyone that walked out of the dealer NA is SOL. Woof.

Since there is no mention of the rods in their recall I should be OK riding my sled until the kits come in. I already have the new boost controller so over boosting should not be an issue??? I also have a boost gauge to monitor it. That's the way I read the recall. Ride on or can Yamaha step up to the plate and admit they screwed up with the rods? Yes, MPI sent out improperly calibrated boost controllers and they already replaced them. That's no excuse for the motors blowing apart now.

Both of my rod failures happened after the reflash. Both times I needed a whole new motor. My new motor is supposed to be here by the middle of the week and is supposed to have the updated rods in it. Hopefully I'm not getting another hand grenade.....

Okay so this is some interesting news and hopefully will help dispel some of the misinformation about the 2016 Viper rods. I have a 2016 XTX with over 5000KM on it. I have not had any issues at all. I also have the all metal valve covers without the rubber nibs. You can not tell by VIN number or build date what you have. Motors are made in Japan and shipped to Thief River in containers and removed and installed in whatever flavor they were building that day.

Here is my motor on the bench. If you look to the left you will see the new heat treated rod with nuts on the end of the bearing caps. Up by the bottle of oil is one of the old rods with the ARP style bolts. I checked my old rods with a file and they were heat treated and would have lasted forever. The tops of both the new and olds are almost black with the bottoms more silvery metal color.

It seems that they have gone back to the old style rods with nuts and bolts instead of the new style rods with ARP style fasteners. Thanks for correcting the my error Yam4Strokin.

Resize of IMG_5274.JPG

Last edited:
Is there any difference between the "new" rods and the ones that were in your motor?

If not I'm perplexed as to why they are swapping things out with the same part.

Okay so this is some interesting news and hopefully will help dispel some of the misinformation about the 2016 Viper rods. I have a 2016 XTX with over 5000KM on it. I have not had any issues at all. I also have the all metal valve covers without the rubber nibs. You can not tell by VIN number or build date what you have. Motors are made in Japan and shipped to Thief River in containers and removed and installed in whatever flavor they were building that day.

Here is my motor on the bench. If you look to the left you will see the new heat treated rod with nuts on the end of the bearing caps. Up by the bottle of oil is one of the old rods. I checked my old rods with a file and they were heat treated. The tops of both the new and olds are almost black with the bottoms more silvery metal color.

Here is where it gets interesting: My old rods have ARP style bolts to hold on the bearing caps. This is the same as the 14/15 motors. The 16's were all supposed to come with the rods with nuts. This is also what shows on the parts break downs. I surmise that the ones that blew up would have the newer style rods and were not heat treated. No wonder Yamaha doesn't know what motors have what rods. They were building some with new valve covers and older style rods. View attachment 125472

You're incorrect on some of your information. The 2008 to 2015 FX Nytro/SR Viper models all had rod bolts that went through the rod with nuts on the bottom side. The 2016.5 motors went to bolts. The new rods in the 2016.5 kit is back to rod bolts that went through the rod with nuts on the bottom side.

The old style did not have bolts in the rods (with no nuts), they all had bolts with nuts and every time you took them apart you must replace the bolt/nut combo as they are torque to yield and good for 1 time use.

Back