• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 VK starter problem

vkrider

When I try to start the engine you can hear the starter motor spinning but the engine is not turning over. I did some research and I think it might be a problem with the sprag clutch. Hopefully its the clutch because the yamaha dealer told me its 12 hours labour to change the starter. Also the sled was sitting for a week in cold weather (-30 to -40) before this problem started. Has anybody else seen this problem.

Haven't had this problem, but I would say get it in a heated garage for awhile and see what happens. A good thaw might take care of it.

vkrider said:
When I try to start the engine you can hear the starter motor spinning but the engine is not turning over. I did some research and I think it might be a problem with the sprag clutch. Hopefully its the clutch because the yamaha dealer told me its 12 hours labour to change the starter. Also the sled was sitting for a week in cold weather (-30 to -40) before this problem started. Has anybody else seen this problem.

i also have this same problem. it is the one way bearing assembly.Yamaha has really let us down with this big problem. no rewind and 4 strokes that are more like summer machines. bring back a newer and bigger vk 540 which still is available only in Scandinavia or at least have a backup rewind. i have left my viking 15 miles in on a bad trail because of this. what must we do carry a heater with us? i am very disappointed and stressed out over this. gave up on this Yamaha and never again buy a 4 stroke.

ahamay said:
My 2007 had the same problem. Had to get a new starter installed.
When do you do this? the starter change is big job. you see the older machines with the starter just on the side? well this one is under and in. again what a disgrace. even the battery is a chore. not a happy sledder to say the least.

i am so stressed out about this machine that need to sell asap to keep my sanity. it is an /08 viking pro excellent condition with only 6700k many new parts including carbides, 11" ski skins, rear mounted 2000lb super winch wired with easy remote,yamaha cargo box and brand factory cover with a brand new spare belt have over 8000. invested make a decent offer.

trj said:
ahamay said:
My 2007 had the same problem. Had to get a new starter installed.
When do you do this? the starter change is big job. you see the older machines with the starter just on the side? well this one is under and in. again what a disgrace. even the battery is a chore. not a happy sledder to say the least.

Lost in January 2012, by the time I got the part and had it installed snowmobiling was over. Also I have another 2008 Yamaha that the starter is getting bad in now, wont be long before that will need to be changed too.

2 starters twice bitten i say. Wow what a bummer. You stranded at all like i was? That is the hard part and why i said Yamaha has let us down with this green 4 stoke.

Finally got the VK back from the dealer. The three bolts that hold the starter clutch all sheared off. The starter clutch and a gear were damaged and had to be replaced. Also the dealer changed the voltage regulator rectifier a terminal was corroded right off (seems like a common problem for this machine). If this is the start of expensive repairs like this I will getting rid of this machine also.

vkrider said:
Finally got the VK back from the dealer. The three bolts that hold the starter clutch all sheared off. The starter clutch and a gear were damaged and had to be replaced. Also the dealer changed the voltage regulator rectifier a terminal was corroded right off (seems like a common problem for this machine). If this is the start of expensive repairs like this I will getting rid of this machine also.
thanks for this info. when i bought the new parts i was told to also get these 3 new bolts but on backorder. my machine is still in the bush. 2 weeks . tired to pull out but no go and starting with a rope wrap will not work with a cold motor. Yamaha genius designed this motor for a motorcycle? could have been an easy fix if you could change the stater yourself. too many issues about this machine. by the time i get this machine out and fixed the winter will be gone for me. i am in ssm.

vk rider: got my machine out and apart. now the fun begins. the 3 bolts that sheared on yours also did on mine and one head has not been found in there. bent the chain holder, and the starter should be replaced. you see the prices? Yamaha what gives with these bolts?? anybody suggest stronger bolts? i got 400 dollars in it just to get it out, almost another 700 . for parts plus the repair costs?? 3 weeks down time during the best time....wow!

Back