• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ADAPT Verses TAPP

Well I will report back. Going to try these next year on the catalyst 600 adapt.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18
Just got back from putting 130 more miles on today up on lake of the woods with the PB 80. Have to say I really like this clutch, years ago I ran one on a Machz 1000 and it really woke that thing up. Such steady, positive pull and smooth besides plus it's very quiet. I thought the adapt perform better than the team but I have to say this is a better performing clutch and better all around clutch than the other two...time will tell I guess. Just the weight difference between the two the adapt is a pound and a half heavier than the BP 80 the diameter of the PB 80 is a quarter inch larger also. The two problems I am having though are my alignment is off 3 mm can't seem to adjust the adapt secondary enough, after looking at different avenues I called STM they make shims for that Jack shaft so looking forward to getting them and the other problem is I need a shorter belt so I bought the redline which is a true inch and a half wide and a bit shorter but until I get the alignment right there's no way I can run that belt.
On a side note, I ended up doing some riding with the Arctic Cat test team so got to see the 858's in action, really impressed how hard they are pushing them seem to be holding up very well and their fuel mileage is incredible! Anyways, I asked about future four stroke in the new chassis of course they're not going to release much information other than if you like the motor you have in yours now, they said you're going to love this new motor and by the grins on their faces has me intrigued. I mentioned I sure hope it isn't some industrial motor pushing a ton of boost, it's an actual high performance engine, they said this one definitely is so let the speculation begin. lol

Just got back from putting 130 more miles on today up on lake of the woods with the PB 80. Have to say I really like this clutch, years ago I ran one on a Machz 1000 and it really woke that thing up. Such steady, positive pull and smooth besides plus it's very quiet. I thought the adapt perform better than the team but I have to say this is a better performing clutch and better all around clutch than the other two...time will tell I guess. Just the weight difference between the two the adapt is a pound and a half heavier than the BP 80 the diameter of the PB 80 is a quarter inch larger also. The two problems I am having though are my alignment is off 3 mm can't seem to adjust the adapt secondary enough, after looking at different avenues I called STM they make shims for that Jack shaft so looking forward to getting them and the other problem is I need a shorter belt so I bought the redline which is a true inch and a half wide and a bit shorter but until I get the alignment right there's no way I can run that belt.
On a side note, I ended up doing some riding with the Arctic Cat test team so got to see the 858's in action, really impressed how hard they are pushing them seem to be holding up very well and their fuel mileage is incredible! Anyways, I asked about future four stroke in the new chassis of course they're not going to release much information other than if you like the motor you have in yours now, they said you're going to love this new motor and by the grins on their faces has me intrigued. I mentioned I sure hope it isn't some industrial motor pushing a ton of boost, it's an actual high performance engine, they said this one definitely is so let the speculation begin. lol
Awesome.

Another thing I'll add. Arctic cats test riders are the best very respectful of the company they work for but also very helpful and engaging. Polaris test riders... not so much, I guess maybe that has to do with having to help them get unstuck or a pull lol

I am having though are my alignment is off 3 mm can't seem to adjust the adapt secondary enough, after looking at different avenues I called STM they make shims for that Jack shaft so looking forward to getting them
Are you saying you need to move the secondary in 3mm?
The reason I ask is one of my Thundercat buddies just discovered a large crack in his Team primary and is considering the PB 80 as an option.
The reviews here on the PB80 look promising and it seems to be about equal in price no matter what cast clutch you buy.
As for the spring cups cracking, this would not be a problem at 240 hp would it?

Is spring cup cracking an issue with new PB80 or is this an old problem from years ago before their updated version?

mine needs to be shimmed 3mm' s out

Are you saying you need to move the secondary in 3mm?
The reason I ask is one of my Thundercat buddies just discovered a large crack in his Team primary and is considering the PB 80 as an option.
The reviews here on the PB80 look promising and it seems to be about equal in price no matter what cast clutch you buy.
As for the spring cups cracking, this would not be a problem at 240 hp would it?

I and others have broken the spring cup on a 1200 N/A sled at 150 HP.

Understand I'm not trying to scare people away from this clutch by saying that, I just want them to know its happened, They have made revisions and updated the cups about three or four times as far as I know it. I haven heard of any breaking lately, but I don't spend any time on DooTalk either where they get used more on the 1200.

I bought a PB80 a while back for the 998 but never tired it for any period of time. I ended up selling it to a guy that needed a clutch for his Winder. I know guys are running them on their 300 HP winders and have heard of no failures. IMO it will work better on the 998 Cats with their wider belts than the Yamaha runs. As I recall, the belt didn't travel to the top of the PB80 or as far as it does on the Yamaha primary with the Yamaha belt, it would travel further using the wider Cat belt of course.

The only drawback to the PB80 is its not going to be a race clutch where you can do whatever you want with engagement, it also can not be shimmed for different belt widths or clearance. Beyond that, it's a fantastic trail clutch, it does slip a bit more on takeoff, but it's smooth that way.

If it were me I wouldn't worry so much about the spring cup breaking. If it breaks it will vibrate like a SOB and you'll know it, just shut the sled down because the spring cup can be replaced, some goys continue driven it to get home and if you do that you'll be buying a complete new clutch, it will totally trash it.

For me, I'd buy one in heartbeat for a trail sled and run the heck out of it.

Last edited:
mine needs to be shimmed 3mm' s out
Thats a pretty drastic difference? Are you 100% confident in these measurements? The adapt and previous boss secondary are aligned using the shims between the sheaves. You remove the outer sheave and add or subtract shims to get desired offset. The shims stm sells are for aligning their secondary which uses shims behind the clutch to align. I am curious of how you achieved the measurements indicating you need to come out 3mm.

Thats a pretty drastic difference? Are you 100% confident in these measurements? The adapt and previous boss secondary are aligned using the shims between the sheaves. You remove the outer sheave and add or subtract shims to get desired offset. The shims stm sells are for aligning their secondary which uses shims behind the clutch to align. I am curious of how you achieved the measurements indicating you need to come out 3mm.
I am aware of the shims in the secondary. By inserting a spare stub shaft into both and using a straight edge to achieve my measurements.

New Adapt primary on the 858... I should say a new spider on the Adapt primary.

New Adapt primary on the 858... I should say a new spider on the Adapt primary.

Hearing the buttons are slightly different as far as how they are mounted in and or serviceable. Just a post from someone that had a closer peak at this new clutch. At least they are maybe improving the clutch? Did I see a black out mark on the sheave in that video. Like to see if the belt is coming up into overdrive? Looks like they have work to do based on the amount of marker left on that sheave. Unless they didn’t squeeze it long on a good long straight.

Back