• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Procross Sway Bars

I snapped one one my Tcat last year, I don't pound on the moguls, I was just running around a tight right hander and SNAP. Machine had about 3,700 miles on it.

That’s a bit concerning, I do some but saddle bag trips where I’m 700km from my truck and wouldn’t be able to afford a failure like this.

I wouldn’t stress over it I ride pretty hard on a lot of ungroomed trials. Actually they are my favourite. My 17 ltx has 12,000 mile and probably logged another 3000 plus miles on my 22 XTX and I’ve never had one fail. I might be wrong but percentage wise it’s a pretty low number of failures

That’s a bit concerning, I do some but saddle bag trips where I’m 700km from my truck and wouldn’t be able to afford a failure like this.
Wasn't a big deal really, I took the link and the short broken piece off and rode a couple of hundred miles to finish my trip. I did the front shocks to firm and my pace wasn't off by much if at all.

As most have stated the sway bar failure is not widespread and not a trip ending part failure either. It is one of the more frequent requests I get and seems they are often on backorder so I just decided I would make some and incorporate a few refinements. Hopefully this week I can get down to my Dad's shop to finish some of them up for those that have expressed interest.

The primary motivation for me would be to stiffen up the front bar to further control roll. I am not as concerned with breaking something as I am with just improvements in handling. A stiffer swaybar would make the procross both easier to ride at speed, improving handling, and likely be less prone to failure.

Would it be a good idea replacing sway bar on higher mileage sled just as preventative maintenance?
No. I believe these are made for those that want an option for a stiffer bar and be readily available. I wouldn't worry about one for preventive maintenance

Last edited:
Would it be a good idea replacing sway bar on higher mileage sled just as preventative maintenance?
I dont think so. Since you can still ride with it broke. I do keep a new one on hand though since they were out of stock when I broke the last one. I never felt any difference in switching to new from a old broke one but never switched two good ones. Its possible they fatigue before breaking so just like the springs would think there is some fatigue.

The primary motivation for me would be to stiffen up the front bar to further control roll. I am not as concerned with breaking something as I am with just improvements in handling. A stiffer swaybar would make the procross both easier to ride at speed, improving handling, and likely be less prone to failure.
Not necessarily. If you watch the suspension when cornering the point at which the outside ski stops compressing is when the inside ski lifts off the snow. This is almost never near end of suspension travel. Thats because the swaybar is no longer effective at forcing the front of sled down because the outside ski has stopped moving it upwards. A stiffer swaybar is added to your ski springs rate. You might have to both put a stiffer swaybar on and soften the ski springs to get the sled forced down to the same point a softer swaybar accomplishes. The further down the front is forced in a corner the better the g forces will be overcome to resist the tipping. At some point though bumps come into play and too soft of shocks suck there.
Worth trying though. I never did on this sled.

Need to have the sway bar bump compliant also.
Don't want it so stiff that the sled is rolling left and right when going thru the rough.
Its a balancing act between good cornering and going straight thru the rough.
The fx nytro is a good example of a really soft sway bar.

Not necessarily. If you watch the suspension when cornering the point at which the outside ski stops compressing is when the inside ski lifts off the snow. This is almost never near end of suspension travel. Thats because the swaybar is no longer effective at forcing the front of sled down because the outside ski has stopped moving it upwards. A stiffer swaybar is added to your ski springs rate. You might have to both put a stiffer swaybar on and soften the ski springs to get the sled forced down to the same point a softer swaybar accomplishes. The further down the front is forced in a corner the better the g forces will be overcome to resist the tipping. At some point though bumps come into play and too soft of shocks suck there.
Worth trying though. I never did on this sled.

I get it, my bias is towards mid-high speed cornering (sweepers) where a soft front end isn't necessarily your friend.

I ran a week or two last season without a swaybar, it rode so good up front but forget about the sweepers at speed, at least I was riding.

When I put a swaybar back in, it was like man this thing rides rough! Its exactly the reason I don't like heavy bars. Keep in mind that the front end needs a bit of sway to transfer the load to the outside ski too so it doesn't push. I remember trying a stiffer swaybar on my Apex when it was all the rage. It only stayed in there for one day and out it came. It turned it into a pushmaster in the corners!

Typically from taking a hard hit on one ski yes. Riding nice flat groomed trails you may never break a bar in the entire life of the sled. All depends on the riding and abuse it goes thru.

It's made of steel, and when you flex steel enough it will break eventually.
I have a nice collection of rx1, vector and apex stock broken bars, and a few 13mm pioneers.
Tug hill and our plowed fields claimed some. Hard hit on one ski for sure snaps them. Soft front and stiff bars seem good for me, but not everyone.

Back