• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing front clutch side driveshaft bearing?

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
I'm posting here because it'll get more looks than in the RS forum.

2014 Vector LTX - I'm going to change it because I don't like what I'm feeling down by my left foot. I already have the two T20 set screws that are in the bearing out. What are the next steps and any tricks you guys and gals have. I've never replaced one where the driveshaft is still in.

Thanks in advance for you r help!

An oh yea....THIS WEATHER SUCKS!!!! (at least in Wisco)

I'm assuming then you have the speed sensor and the bearing cover off already then to. Drop the rear upper axle. This will take the tension out of the track and no need to adjust the track tension with the rear axle later.
I then use two long pry bars from inside the tunnel and wiggle the bearing out. The new bearing slides in "e z p z". Center the driveshaft in the hole with one hand and with the other slide on the new bearing. Set the bearing cover and speed sensor and then tighten the torx screws. Install rear upper axle and you are ready to roll.

I would have seen this in the RS forums too.
Just sayin' :p

I'm assuming then you have the speed sensor and the bearing cover off already then to. Drop the rear upper axle. This will take the tension out of the track and no need to adjust the track tension with the rear axle later.
I then use two long pry bars from inside the tunnel and wiggle the bearing out. The new bearing slides in "e z p z". Center the driveshaft in the hole with one hand and with the other slide on the new bearing. Set the bearing cover and speed sensor and then tighten the torx screws. Install rear upper axle and you are ready to roll.

I would have seen this in the RS forums too.
Just sayin' :p

I know YOU would have seen it but do you know WTF you are talking about? ;)

Just did an 08 anniversary vector a few weeks ago that ate the speed sensor. We loosened the track, took off the sensor, outer plate, loosened the torx screws, polished the shaft a little, worked what was left (pretty much inner race...all balls etc gone) and slid it right out as a friend pushed a little and floated the front drive shaft to the center of the tunnel hole. Slid the new on on. Piece of cake really.

there also is a cover that you can to put on the bearing which help to keep ice from damaging the seal on the inside, i would put it on. i forgot the part number ?.

Thanks to Herr Steiner ;) the job was as easy as he said.

Darv - there's already some type of plastic Gizmo on the one side of the berry, the tunnel side. It actually has cutouts in it to get at the two set screws. Is that what you're talking about?

Not to be argumentative, but I saw the part. How does anyone know they work? Rx1''s (2) Vectors(2) apex...lots of total miles, zero bearing failures. In fact, I kept the pto side bearing from an Rx1 that I sold and later changed the track on for the guy....feels like new. But....they have all been needle greased over the years. One rx1 has been beat...bulkhead, suspensions, broke...2003....bearing is still goin strong 13 years later. I owned that one originally too and greased it. I think it's on its 4th owner....lol
I like grease.

Not to be argumentative, but I saw the part. How does anyone know they work? Rx1''s (2) Vectors(2) apex...lots of total miles, zero bearing failures. In fact, I kept the pto side bearing from an Rx1 that I sold and later changed the track on for the guy....feels like new. But....they have all been needle greased over the years. One rx1 has been beat...bulkhead, suspensions, broke...2003....bearing is still goin strong 13 years later. I owned that one originally too and greased it. I think it's on its 4th owner....lol
I like grease.

It's OK with me. Like I said......something didn't feel right down by my left foot. 3400 miles on the sled and I grease it after each season. The bearing I took out feels just fine and I'm almost tempted to put it back in. BUT...I'm not going to take a chance of it wrecking a trip. Who knows.....maybe the chaincase drive bearing is bad?

How do you grease the bearing? Pop the seal and repack while it is still on the sled? That is what I used to do, but this year I removed the bearing, popped both seals, cleaned it out to remove all of the old grease, and then reinstalled. I think a bearing could last 20,000 miles doing this every year. Also, what grease to use? I used the Amsoil blue synthetic that I use on my suspension. Is there a better option?

Don't get me wrong, I'd put one on. But I would grease it too. Now, the vector that ate the speed sensor, as there was no bearing left, was SMOOTH AS GLASS. I got on it and ran it down a road as it would cut out...the tors was triggered by the dead speed sensor....It ran fine and had no vibration. When does yours vibrate? Under all conditions, as in, loose snow, hardpack, etc? Also another bud had a terrible vibration in his 3cyl. 07 rs nytro. Felt that in my feet but he sold it. Almost felt like the Jackshaft or engine mounts. Ran like that for years. I couldn't stand it..something was wrong.

Last edited:
That pto side bearing seems easy to get a grease needle in (get them at napa, or any parts store). I just feel it as I stick it in by the inner race, at an angle, until it goes in, then put my finger over it like getting blood drawn, and pump it. I don't remove the seals. I used to use mobil 1 synthetic, or lucas red and tacky, but now use a part molybdenum grease, as it's hard to get off my hand, like graphite grease. A bearing will never seize with grease, meaning it won't leave you. They will get loose and wear out in time, but that's a gradual death. ..not a ruined trip.

How do you grease the bearing? Pop the seal and repack while it is still on the sled? That is what I used to do, but this year I removed the bearing, popped both seals, cleaned it out to remove all of the old grease, and then reinstalled. I think a bearing could last 20,000 miles doing this every year. Also, what grease to use? I used the Amsoil blue synthetic that I use on my suspension. Is there a better option?

Grease while still in sled. Remove outer seal, brakekleen it and blow it out. Use Mobil 1 grease with a needle injector. Same as I've been doing for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd put one on. But I would grease it too. Now, the vector that ate the speed sensor, as there was no bearing left, was SMOOTH AS GLASS. I got on it and ran it down a road as it would cut out...the tors was triggered by the dead speed sensor....It ran fine and had no vibration. When does yours vibrate? Under all conditions, as in, loose snow, hardpack, etc? Also another bud had a terrible vibration in his 3cyl. 07 rs nytro. Felt that in my feet but he sold it. Almost felt like the Jackshaft or engine mounts. Ran like that for years. I couldn't stand it..something was wrong.

Just noticed it on my last ride. Haven't been riding much this year so I don't really have a lot to compare two. It feels like a bearing going bad. I felt it before on my other sleds. I'll check the jackshaft bearing too.

Back